SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God knows what did I do wrong on earth, but a few days ago my 2007 S40 (2.4i & auto) started making a slight grinding sound with a bit of vibration feedback into the gas pedal. The strange part is that it ONLY happens the first time it goes from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, after I start the engine.
After it happens first time after the engine started, there is no grinding sound even if I come to a full stop (not turning the engine off) put it in Parking, Reverse or Neutral, then Drive and accelerate.

This grinding sound happens when I accelerate both slow and fast and does happen even if I manually change the gears ... but only once after the engine turns on (if I want to gear the grind again, I need to turn off, then on, the engine).

Any ideas where should I start looking?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Sounds like the valvebody isn't fully pushing the arms out to change gears. Easiest thing - check for codes - second easiest,do a fluid change and fill to spec - after that, you're pretty much gonna have to DIY or it's mechanic time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No error codes, fluid changed about two weeks ago, first mechanic says it's not a rare thing on Volvos and isn't going to hurt in the long run ... not sure if I should trust him :|

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Did it do this before or after he changed the fluid?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It started a couple days after the fluid change (3 of which the car stayed in rain).
Can fluid cause such a "specific issue" though ?

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
681 Posts
What fluid was used in the flush?? This transmission requires JWS-3309 only, it is not compatible with any other. The cheapest way to get it is buying ATF Type-IV at a toyota dealer (~$7.5/qt)

Did you check the oil level properly?
And from where did you filled the transmission?: I’m hoping you didn’t do it from the upper bolt of the case

I found this:

VERY IMPORTANT if you don't know already, the trans is refilled via the dipstick tube ONLY! DO NOT touch the big bolt/nut on top of the trans! This bolt holds the 3rd gear band in place and bad things will happen if you remove it.

From here:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?192887-Transmission-fluid-flush-replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was Mobil ATF 3309. Looks like fluid isn't the issue.

Drove again today, now the grinding sound can happen also while changing 1st to 2nd gear or during any of the first three gears (not when gears get changed, while just driving), but still only once after engine starts.
Tried another service, they couldn't simulate the issue on a stand, because ABS kicks in & the car "floats" in air, so there is no weight pressure on the wheels, therefore we don't get to reach the grind.

Any other ideas? Not really amazed by the idea that the transmission is dying, after a month since I purchased the car and it wasn't showing any issues :|

·
Registered
633 Posts
I believe it's just the ABS system doing a self-check... if it only happens once when you get up to about 15 mph or so. My manual s40 does it, as does my Honda minivan.

Do some googling on abs self test or abs self check -- this is a common and normal thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep it's the ABS self-check... it's always happening at 12 mph and I never ever looked at the speedometer all this time, only at the tachometer.
Thank you !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts