SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to sift through the threads and get the exact straight answer on the non turbo cars spark plugs (it is all the turbo cars, not hating but frustrated I can't find the direct answer). I have pretty much narrowed it down to the denso SK20HR11 (I think is the correct one?) for the non turbo 2.4 s40. What is the correct gap for these, if they are indeed the correct plug. they are showing a factory gap of .044". I saw the t5 ( I get they are boosted need a more concentrated spark etc...) are gapped down to ~.028". That is a big difference.

Any need to replace the intake manifold gaskets for the first time changing the plugs out?

Any other pit falls I should be aware of for doing this the first time out?

Much appreciated as always

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I can't answer the gapping question because I used the Volvo plugs when I did mine. They are only $44+ at ipdusa.

Gasket change isn't necessary unless yours are damaged. When you have the intake manifold off, inspect the rubber gaskets and decide then. I didn't change mine at all.

Don't over torque the plugs and make sure you cover the exposed intakes with masking tape quickly.

Do not overtighten the intake manifold bolts either. I think they are 7ftlbs. Otherwise they will shear off.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Volvo # 30650843 (tri-electrode)
.024 +/- .004in
.6 +/- 0.1mm
22.5ft lbs 30nm
If you have the green 0-rings you should be fine reusing.
Intake manifold torque is indeed 7ft lbs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bosch FGR6NQE0 Multi-Ground Spark Plug

This is what I use... I believe it's a direct replacement but it's only $7-$8. Much better than $40 from the dealer. The gasket that's on the plastic part of the intake manifold is actually rubber o-rings. No reason you can't reuse them if they aren't damaged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all worked like a charm. I was having a hard time trusting non OEM plugs for fear I would have it apart and have the wrong ones on hand, so I just went to the dealership and got the factory ones. Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts