SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to change the throttle response to being more linear on my 05 V50 2.4i. I dont mind having less power but I cant stand how the throttle responds to my foot. I know the Polestar package changes throttle response but I dont know if it's available for my car.

Thanks,
Phillip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Unfortunately the polestar package is only available for the T5 variants of our car. There likely isn’t much you could do to improve throttle response, outside of cleaning the throttle body itself which might help. When I got my car to Stage 0, everything was much preppier and ran much better, and throttle response felt much better. You could get a tune, but those are far and few for the 2.4i as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Couple things you can do to better your throttle response:

Increase filter surface area - be it a CAI kit or whatever you choose, that will increase throttle response.
Cleaning your Throttle Body will also help.
A phenolic spacer for your car will also help - it keeps the intake runners from contacting the head, and therefore less heat gets transferred to the incoming air, ergo gets up and goes quicker.

But yes, realistically, short of altering your spark advance curve with a tune, there's only so much you can do on a 2.4i

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to change the throttle response to being more linear on my 05 V50 2.4i. I dont mind having less power but I cant stand how the throttle responds to my foot. I know the Polestar package changes throttle response but I dont know if it's available for my car.

https://www.autoguysland.com/best-pex-crimp-tool/

Thanks,
Phillip

Hi.

One thing about these engines - they use a “fly-by-wire” throttle module built by Magneti Marelli. This can fail as the internal throttle position sensor contacts wear out.
eing a mechanical contact type, it relies on physical contact between two small moving parts. With time, these parts wear out, causing loss of contact. Newer cars don’t experience this problem as they have contactless throttle position sensors.

Make sure that this is not your case, as poor throttle response is the initial symptom.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
You could try the Porsche throttlebody replacement. Look in stickies for information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely be sure to check all those out when the next paycheck comes in. Is there no easy way to remap the throttle to behave more linearly? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
At only 168 HP and 170 pound-feet of torque, the 2.4i is a performance turd. After driving turbocharged Subarus for 12 years (the last one modded to about 400 HP at the crank), I've had to reset my on-road performance expectations pretty drastically driving an '09 S40 2.4i. The car does have some creature-comfort benefits and is a pleasant car to commute in, but acceleration performance is not one of its virtues.

Normal maintenance such as plugs, throttle body cleaning, etc. makes sense and could help it run better, but personally I wouldn't waste any time or money on mods trying to make it something it's not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts