SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research and can't seem to find a good intake for the 2.4 motors. Gdub designs looked good, but it appears he is no longer selling them. any direction on where I can find a good CAI for a reasonable price?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have been doing some research and can't seem to find a good intake for the 2.4 motors. Gdub designs looked good, but it appears he is no longer selling them. any direction on where I can find a good CAI for a reasonable price?

Thanks!!
I'd be surprised if he was no longer selling them; there aren't really many options for our engine other than him or DIY.

Thats the one I fabbed and ran for awhile.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm surprised a person couldn't modify a T5 intake from K&N or whoever.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
2.4i Gdub intakes are still for sale, just having hosting problems... Gdub no longer makes T5 intakes though...

·
Banned
1,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What about issues about the PCM overheating or whatnot?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Never been an issue in any case of aftermarket intakes.
Over heating the PCM has been mentioned hundreds of time but we never have seen this happen ourselves with any intake kit that we have sold.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over heating the PCM has been mentioned hundreds of time but we never have seen this happen ourselves with any intake kit that we have sold.
How different are the T5 intakes from the 2.4? what type of modification/finiking does it require to mount a t5 intake on a 2.4?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
How different are the T5 intakes from the 2.4? what type of modification/finiking does it require to mount a t5 intake on a 2.4?
Couple considerations here: the 2.4i intake is a cold air design, best for you. The T5 intake is a warm air design, doesn't matter for us as the turbo super heats the air anyways. So I would say that you could hack up a T5 intake and make it work. The thing is, essentially all that you will be doing is taking off your stock intake and slapping a filter on the end. Great for noise, likely going to loose you performance.

Here's a T5 intake: check out the picture at the bottom, you'll see what I mean. http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EST02&Product_Code=KN69-9000TS&Category_Code=VL-S40-V50-en

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So your saying that installing a cold air intake will hurt my performance and fuel economy? thats contrary to what I have been reading about CAIs in general..
No, no, the 2.4i is a Cold Air Intake, and therefore is going to be best for your car. The T5 is a warm air intake and will not be as good for your car. I was saying that the T5 (or non-cold air) intake will be great for noise, by will likely loose you performance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand now. Yea I am going to be going with a standard cai made for the 2.4.. thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Never seen ANY proof that any kind of air intake make any power either on T5 or on 2.4i engines. Instead they usually bring poor filtration, oil to MAF etc.

The only "benefit" is engine sound, that is if you like that..

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Never seen ANY proof that any kind of air intake make any power either on T5 or on 2.4i engines. Instead they usually bring poor filtration, oil to MAF etc.

love this! :D

Not having a Con filter air intake I can't speak for that but I've switch back and forth between K&N filter and OEM filter and I can't feel power gain. The only thing I noticed is when I use the OE paper filter the engine run smoother as if the air flow is a bit less turbulent...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So you suggest running a oem setup with stock air style filter? and more air doesn't mean more power?

love this! :D

Not having a Con filter air intake I can't speak for that but I've switch back and forth between K&N filter and OEM filter and I can't feel power gain. The only thing I noticed is when I use the OE paper filter the engine run smoother as if the air flow is a bit less turbulent...
So you reccomend the stock intake as well then. with paper air filter?

·
Registered
658 Posts
One of these days, I'll just spend a few hours at Home Depot and make my own air intake. That's really all these things are. A Home Depot plumbing mod with a filter on the end. The key is understanding how much air a 2.4i / T5 engine "wants" versus what it "gets". I have yet to see any numbers on this. Maybe a Volvo Tech can explain, and THEN we can get somewhere regarding intakes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts