SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, I finally got my Elevate springs put on. Car sits pretty nicely and it really does look great. Rides like absolute ****. The rear end bounces and crashes over pretty much everything you throw at it. I don't know if it's the springs, or if it's actually the shocks/struts just not able to cope with the new ride height. Either way, I'm really not pleased with it for a daily driver. I have a lowered SVT Contour with Koni's and H&R's that rides a bazillion times better than this thing does. There's really no comparison. The suspension on the Volvo just feels so inadequate. It's rather embarrassing with people in the car too. What to do?

I have to either put the old springs back on and wait to get a thicker sidewall tire, or... ?:confused: I'm guessing coilovers aren't going to be much more compliant than this, and I really don't want to sink that much more money (and maintenance) on a car as fickle as this one.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The question is what shocks are on it? Stock isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is AWD. Sorry I omitted that. I am under the impression there are no other options for rear shocks.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You are correct & pretty much screwed. Coilover is the only choice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which is not necessarily going to ride that much better from what I've read. Still fairly rough, and can be high maintenance?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I never really understood the lowering thing - seems to me if you want to fill the fender gap then you could get larger wheels and taller sidewall tires. Say, for instance, some 205/55/18 (if they make them) or 215/55/17. I mean really, at 30 mph who's gonna notice that your car has 45 ratio tires vs. 55 ratio tires.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wheel gap on these cars is horrendous. I have 18's, and I promise if I got tires with a bigger sidewall it still will look like I have horrible wheel gap. But it may have to be that way, because I kind of hate driving it now that it's lowered.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
When I've done it, I wasn't happy with the lowered suspension - too damn rough for a DD. The gap is average IMO, but then again I'm starting to think that stock cars are the best so I may be getting too old to be helpful...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm starting to think the same way.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You can try some C30 sport springs. Pull the AWD spacer out of the front. Rear sits lower as well with the added weight. There are some pics floating around but I can't think of the member's name at the moment.

Found it!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O'RLY? Anyone else have experience with ride quality doing that? Thanks for the link. Sounds like it should feel similar to stock springs? That is very interesting. That picture shows the rear end sitting at least as low as mine is with the Elevate springs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So removing that spacer creates more weight transfer to the back causing the rear to sit lower?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
So removing that spacer creates more weight transfer to the back causing the rear to sit lower?
Ah... no.
C30 rear is far lighter than your AWD station wagon + the sport springs are a hair shorter.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
#8 It sits on top of the strut bearing to "jack up" your AWD. :)
Do you know how thick it is, by any chance? I've considered removing mine, but I haven't had the motivation to drop the strut to figure it out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Oh, the added weight of the V50. Got it. Sorry I misread it the first time.

So what exactly is the purpose of removing the front spacer? And what are the chances it would ride a whole lot better than the elevate rear springs?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts