SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the "no frills" thread title might have just told you what the rest of this thread could be like. ;) Although new to Volvo, like many others here, I'm not new to cars. I like to tinker and rebuild, but most of all enjoy putting miles on them. Most recent addition, tops the "60 Cars Owned"list, that was gone over recently. Which brings us to why the thread.

Recently picked up a 96 850 GLT Wagon. An 855, I believe it's called and I like. It's an automatic and has it's little quirks, and things will need to be replaced but I like it. I don't know of Volvo chasis and wheel terms or found the repetitive maintenance items (ie. things that break all the time) but I hope to keep this 1 for awhile. Anywho... I know everyone likes pics, but this is honestly all I have for now (pre-door moldings and Thule rack with 555) as it's raining here in New England.

Bike is a 99 Kosmic Blue GSXR 7.5. with a coat MuthaNaturePollen Pearl :what: :D Yeah, I didn't get to cover it. Been working alot lately :( Well, just thought I'd say hello in case I pop up in your thread. ;)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi and welcome to the world of FWD Volvo's. You'll really enjoy the car if it's turbo and you like to tinker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the world of FWD Volvo's. You'll really enjoy the car if it's turbo and you like to tinker.

Sad to say, but it's NA. Believe it or not, I'm ok with that. I've been tinkering today and have found out a few little things here and there on my own. Like how to manage the DRL and the locking rear compartment. I recharged the a/c and gave it a good cleaning (still needs a little more) and made a trip to get some more stuff. Found out my sway bar bushing is toast and I need to get the rest of my maintenance items situated before doing any more "convenience mods". Any recommendations on bushings anyone? The car is a daily, but might see some towing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking into the ABS/Trac issue, and am moving that repair, up closer to the top on my "to do" list. Any suggestions or thread recommendations???

Also got some other odds and ends done today. Finished putting everything back on my rack and cleaned it up inside some more. Took a pic showing the 555 Fairing. The rack is as old as ths car and I've owned it for that long too. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
ABS/TRACS is likely the module itself and is a very common failure on 96 and later 850's. Matt at midwest-abs.com is a member of MVS and VS and does a great job on the repair and exchange process.

Nice looking car. I have those wheels (Spica) on my S70 NA, even though they are only 15 inch rims, I like they way they look on a black car.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
ABS:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?154058-ABS-TRACKS-Problem&

Note 1996 was the year they changed the ABS design. 96 is the same as a 98.

The sway bar bushings are bonded to the sway bar. I've heard of people burning them off
with a torch. So you might google "850 volvo sway bar torch bushing" :) Getting at them
is a lot of work. Go to ipdusa.com and check out their PDF file with instructions on replacing the sway
bar since you would have to follow those steps to take it out. But you might as well put in an
IPD sway bar if you go to all that work:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4873/109445-anti-sway-bar-kit-850-70

I will say mine looked bad on my S70 and when I replaced it with IPD sway
bars it wasn't really in that bad of shape once it was out and I could see all of it.
Note: The sway bar end link's bushing are more likely to fail (in case that is what you meant).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments. The "Spica's" are what i purchased it with. They're clean and came with Bridgestone's. I am finding myself longing for a wider contact patch, but maintenance is still a top priority right now. I have a few sets of wheels, but none for Volvo.

ABS:

Note 1996 was the year they changed the ABS design. 96 is the same as a 98.

The sway bar bushings are bonded to the sway bar. I've heard of people burning them off
with a torch. So you might google "850 volvo sway bar torch bushing" :) Getting at them
is a lot of work. Go to ipdusa.com and check out their PDF file with instructions on replacing the sway
bar since you would have to follow those steps to take it out.
Note: The sway bar end link's bushing are more likely to fail (in case that is what you meant).
Thanks! Just what I was looking for. I'm going to inspect the unit 1st, to see if anyone messed with it, before contacting him. Hopefully there's no damage or gouges on it. And as far as the swaybar goes, it is the bar bushings (primarily the 1 on the passenger side) and not the links (Yet). I checked those, prior to purchase.

Managed to get some more minor things done yesterday, and will be going through it later. I replaced the main window switches, hood latch, mass air flow, rear tweeter and passenger rear door speaker, led dash light, and some other little odds and ends. Hopefully, be able to get some more things done who knows...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I forget but on an 850 it's easy
I would also join www.matthewsvolvosite.com
GREAT DYI site with hundreds of "how to's" there
HUGE repair database

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I forget but on an 850 it's easy
I would also join www.matthewsvolvosite.com
GREAT DYI site with hundreds of "how to's" there
HUGE repair database
That site does have alot on it, but seems like this site is just as helpful ;)

Ok, so far so good. The current things I found in need of replacement, shouldn't need any special tools... I hope... Fingers crossed.

I've been at a stand still with another car, I might be able to start tearing it apart and getting to the important stuff first. Then, I think some subtle OEM+ upgrades. Trying to keep a more practical approach with it. I also built the bike in the pic, The E36, and the family toaster (for the better half) ... Scion Xb. All of which, recieved some sort of modifications, no bodykits. However, the 855 needs to be the reliable, ready to do a road trip, but primarily be the daily. If it were looks or speed, I think I got that covered. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nice wagon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^--Thanks

Recently got some others minor things done, including swapping over the factory radio's face plate, tint, the rest of my rack and some other things, but yesterday I was gifted a new issue, the blower motor (yes, it was making the "hamster running on a wheel" sound prior)
Maybe a point towards a thread?

Edit**

Found what i was looking for, as far as pulling and swapping out the unit. Hoping that's the only problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts