SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil for the first time after installing a used engine. I have driven 1500 miles and the full synthetic oil is a dark coffee color. I noticed a lot of sludge in the filter. One of my problems is that I replace 6 quarts of oil and it reads as though it is a quart low. I am using the dipstick that came with the long block I purchased. Any ideas as to why it reads low? I can't believe how much sludge there was. I know I cleaned a lot out when I did the o rings.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
sludge in the dipstick tube wont allow a proper reading or its the wrong dipstick, based on what you are saying I think the former is more likely, easy fix though and not a bad idea to go ahead and change early and throw some of this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QY06FV8KQPGPG92X20F in there before your next change... or two I spose, sounds pretty sludgey from your descrip tho

fyi lubro moly and liqui moly are the same brand and product in this case

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noted where it reads and am going to run it there until I get to work and use one of my co workers dipstick to compare. If it is wrong then it has been running a quart over full....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't you have to remove the pan after using liqi- moly?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think with most "engine flushes", dropping the pan and getting all the excess crap out wouldn't be too bad of an idea. However not required, with your sludge issue after only 1500 miles, you might want to do it just to be on the safe side.

PS: I've used the liqui-moly on an old s10 that I used to have which was severely neglected which was verified by pulling both valve covers. Needless to say, dropping the pan was a must after that ordeal. I had chunks coming out lol.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to take it for a drive over Christmas and I will see what the oil looks like after.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Don't you have to remove the pan after using liqi- moly?
No. Period.

BUT, to side with Covert here, if it is THAT bad, if there is LITERALLY that much solid waste, dropping the pan, if you are up to that (very simple but set aside 3-6 hrs depending on your experience level), may help.

Let's keep this in perspective though, you paid a lot for that motor, several oil changes (with or without additives), is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I just changed the oil for the first time after installing a used engine. I have driven 1500 miles and the full synthetic oil is a dark coffee color. I noticed a lot of sludge in the filter. One of my problems is that I replace 6 quarts of oil and it reads as though it is a quart low. I am using the dipstick that came with the long block I purchased. Any ideas as to why it reads low? I can't believe how much sludge there was. I know I cleaned a lot out when I did the o rings.
Maybe it has the wrong dipstick. It should take 5.8 litres (6.1288 quarts)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think, and someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems there are a few different dipstick lengths out there for our cars. At least from my experience.

I snapped the handle off of mine a few weeks back and I purchased one on amazon to replace it. Its a PPS variant but it was cheap, the reviews were good, and it had the same part number as the one for my car on fcpeuro so I said why not. Well turns out that after a full 6qt oil change, the dipstick now reads just a hair under the 3rd "X" mark where the one I broke, read on the dot full. Not sure what the deal is but I just make a note of it whenever I change the oil now.

Basically what I was saying was that if you drain the oil and it has the consistency of curdled milk (yuk) then dropping the pan would be advised. A few short OCI's with either some PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) or a quality synthetic (depends on your budget) would probably be just fine without any additives.

Note: This is the one I bought.

Professional Parts SWEDEN Oil Dipstick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LLB2UE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_.YLBwbYG22228

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just thinking of getting that one. Thanks for the warning

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not a big fan of additives I was just going to change the oil every 1500 miles or so for a couple of changes. I

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would not be adding any cleaning additives. I think you want a slow clean. Don't want to create something breaking loose and clogging the oil pick up screen. Short oil change intervals with filter change and examination using a good cleaning oil. PYB, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It is in fact the wrong length dipstick. Off to the stealership

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.
Well that's good news! If you could do me a gigantic favor and measure it when you acquire the one from the stealer that would be excellent! From the very tip of the metal to the flat part at the bottom of the handle that hits the rim of the dipstick tube. Just want to verify my craziness if its not too much to ask :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oh boy. Get a few cases of Pennzoil yellow bottle and some filters. You're in it for the long haul my friend. I'm assuming the right side of that picture was the side in the filter housing. Can't imagine what the inside of that housing looked like!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It had a nice deposit in there. I am assuming either they used conventional oil in the used engine or they did a lot of stop and go driving. Seattle traffic.

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It had a nice deposit in there. I am assuming either they used conventional oil in the used engine or they did a lot of stop and go driving. Seattle traffic.

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.
Seems like a mixture of the two with deposits like that. Most likely got the jiffy lube special when the sticker said it was due. Like I mentioned earlier, a few short oil change intervals ~1-1.5k miles with some highway driving should do you wonders. There's no telling how many changes it's going to take but as soon as the filters don't look like THAT, start running a nice synthetic through it to do the last bit of cleanup and then stick with it.

Queue Bob Marley's "Every little thing, is gonna be alright!"

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am running Mobil 1 synthetic this change and castrol edge synthetic last time. Will that work?

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am running Mobil 1 synthetic this change and castrol edge synthetic last time. Will that work?

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.
Even better. Mobil and Castrol use high tier base stocks for their synthetics with excellent add packs. Not sure about Castrol but Mobil 1 is a group 5 if I'm not mistaken. I suggested Pennzoil yellow bottle due to the cheap factor and excellent success a vast majority of people have had with issues such as yours and even worse! Its an excellent, cheap oil for occasions such as this but if the funds are there to do some short synthetic OCI's then your results will be that much better :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts