SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone bought parts from 1A Auto? If so, how did they hold up? Noticed the also offer lifetime warranty and do not require a deposit when sending replacement parts.

Bearings?
Suspension?
Brakes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've bought from them:
- Quick Struts
- Shocks
- Ball Joints
- Inner & outer tie rods
- Sway bar end links
- Control arms
- Brake pads and rotors

for a 2003 V70

I happy with:
- Struts
- Shocks
- Tie rods
- End links
- Control arms

Everything fits, and the quality seems decent. The control arms are nice and beefy. The struts and shocks don't look like anything special, but they made a huge improvement compared to the old ones I had before with 160k miles on them. Tie rods and end links seem fine.

I was not happy with:
- Brake pads and rotors
- Ball joints

The ball joint did not fit. The spline pattern did not match the knuckle, so it was impossible to hammer it in all the way. I spent hours trying. I ruined my knuckle's existing spline pattern by attempting to hammer these in. To make matters worse, the ball joints did not have a hex counterhold to properly torque the ball joint to the control arm. When I would try to torque down the nut, the ball joint would spin freely. In their instruction video they don't even use the proper ball joint tool to hammer it in. By the time I was done, i had completely deformed the ball joint by trying to hammer it in with a punch (like they do). They also try to reattach the ball joint to the control arm with the strut and axle attached. You can watch the insanity here: https://youtu.be/fApDmxZi534?t=680 . In practice, it's nearly impossible to put the ball joint back in the control arm this way. The correct way is to remove the entire knuckle, and reattach the ball joint to the control arm before anything else (as shown in FCP euro's video about ball joints).

In the end, I bought some OE ball joints from FCP euro, bought the proper ball joint tool from them, and eveything went very smoothly.

The brakes: after a month, I was noticing a groaning noise coming from the brakes, and the car was pulling to one side. Took the wheels off to inspect. Luckily I noticed the problem. The rotors were too small. The brake pads were overlapping the rotor and grinding away at the sides. Rotors and pads were both trashed. I discovered that v70s come with either 286mm or 305mm front rotors. Mine were 305. Nowhere on 1A Auto's webside does it say so. According to them, the rotor fits my car. By contrast, when you order rotors from IPD or FCP, you get a big disclaimer about the two rotor sizes, making sure you order the right one. 1A Auto didn't even carry 305mm rotors, so I ordered rotors and pads elsewhere. Now my front and back rotors don't match.

As for the pads, they make so much dust. You can clean your wheels thoroughly and a week later they will be filthy again.

Personally, I won't bother with 1A Auto again. The prices are attractive, but any savings were quickly wiped out when I had to re-buy parts, and book many extra hours at the car lift rental I go to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thorough reply. Will definitely keep it in mind. Haven't bought anything from them. Its just they have decent YouTube videos.

G

·
I bought from them for the 850. Brakes on the front were meh...they worked well enough to stop the car, and were cheap. Good enough at the time.

The rears they sent me incorrect parts. They did finally refund me after arguing that they were correct fit and being proven wrong. Told me to keep the parts and have full refund. The lifetime warranty sucked me in...and I won’t deal with them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts