SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure posting this in the R forum will get model specific feedback because so far I am hearing mixed suggestions. Mods feel free to move this if it has to be in the wheel/tire section

I don’t have a lot of experience with aftermarket wheel/tire set ups and I am buying 19x8.5 +45 wheels for my VR. I live in Michigan “home of the worst roads in the USA” so I am more concerned with tires that will help as much as possible with ride quality and not worried about the speedometer being off a bit as a result. I just don’t know at what point the size will have excessive rubbing and counter productive.

These will only be on in the summer so any recommendations for good quality and reasonably priced tires would be greatly appreciated as well. Pegs/Blizzaks will stay mounted for winter.

As always thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ride quality is just going to be bad news with 19s on bad roads. It's bad news with 19s on good roads. :)

I run 19x8.5 with 235/35R19 Super Sports. Lowered on Eibach springs. It's rough.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You'll bend a rim or blow out a tire if the roads are really bad. I recently killed a tire and slightly bent two wheels on a big construction groove that I didn't see in time, and that was with 18s. I'd imagine it's even worse with 19s because you don't have as much sidewall.

19s look great though :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp they are already purchased so I’ll try to buy affordable tires with a replacement warranty in case I end up blowing them out. I’ll keep my pegs as a back up if it’s bad even after s full suspension refresh.

Does anyone know if I can get away with a bigger side wall? If so what size?

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sumitomo makes a pretty decent summer tire in 235/35/19. Can't beat the price and I'm very happy with them. They've held up well to a bunch of potholes but i haven't hit anything too bad yet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I live in MI and run 19's on my R and will tell you that they will make you a better pothole dodger. ;)

Fortunately, I haven't hit a pothole with these or else I'm pretty sure I would bend them instantly with 35 series tires. If you want comfort, you want 18's or better yet 17's. Not trying to make 19's sound unbearable because they are not, but if you normally ride on rough roads everywhere, you're better off avoiding 19's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was younger I had 20s on my C70 so I am a veteran at dodging MI pot holes haha. Really I’m just trying to find out if I can get a bigger tire than 235/35/19 without rubbing bad at this point as I have already purchased the wheels. Going to do a full suspension refresh first to help out some as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
there isnt any tires load rated for the weight of our cars in that size. I run them on some SSr's and all 4 have trashed with sidewall failure.
Also have a bent front :(

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You can get very close to load rating with these. They will rub at full lock in the front but that's it. Car is not lowered, but springs have settled over the last 12 years so sits a bit lower than when it was new.

245 /35 R19 93W XL BSW
BFG G-FORCE COMP 2 A

I run the 5mm H&R wheel spacers that Viva sells at all 4 corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts