SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody new poster here (and lets hope soon to be new owner :))
I am looking at a 99 V70 XC on craigslist http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2951400734.html, and the owner says he took the rear differential out because it was broken. He said the dealership was gonna charge 6000 to replace (!) and fix the diff., so he decided that he just wanted to keep it FWD. If I follow through and get this car exactly what kind of work would it take to get it fixed. I am not overly peculiar about the car being AWD, but it would be helpful for these michigan winters. I would like to know exactly what parts I would need, and if they should be used or just brand new OEM parts. And is this a project I could do at a local car shop by myself, I have no auto expertise yet but have potential. If any one could get back to me that would be great. Enjoy your evenings and happy volvoing!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have never heard of a failed diff on these cars. With that said...

It probably has a bad viscous coupler, which is attached to the rear differential. The VC doesn't require the rear subframe to be dropped, diff replacement would. Not bad if you've done it a few times, but it requires the rear brakes to be completely removed from the system, ebrake cables, driveshaft out, fuel lines disconnected, exhaust removed, and some awkward jack-setup to lower it all off the car if you don't have a lift.

I hate ads where the seller hides a major problem as if it's nothing. Kinda deceiving, but with that said, the car is definitely worth somewhere in the low $2000s, if I had to guess. It may very well need a new driveshaft as well. If you hear any knocks underneath the car on the test drive, that's probably the case.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. How could the dealership have removed the rear differential without doing it the way Burnout8488 did? I assume he's confused and means the viscous coupling doesn't work and the dealership removed the prop shaft or that the front differential (angle gear) doesn't work properly and therefore they removed the prop shaft.

For 6000 USD, I can imagine all three of those parts needing to be replaced (1800 angle gear, 1400 VC, 800 DS) plus labor although even that shouldn't come to 6000...it's not more than 5 hours labor book time to replace those 3 items so the numbers don't add up.

A rear diff costs 3000 dollars plus something like 7 hours labor book time IIRC so even if that were that were the problem something doesn't add up.

If you are serious about this car, take it to a Volvo dealer and have the AWD system checked out properly and get an estimate on repairs and then factor that into his price.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
^ if he's running it fwd you wont have a driveshaft running down the middle. just an empty space.
You're right, my mind was a little off!

That would be quite the undertaking if the dealership removed the diff. They probably left it alone and simply removed the driveshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice guys! Should I have it checked out before I buy it at a volvo dealer or after purchasing?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Definitely before, they can tell you of any horrors that may or may not lie underneath the car...as well as ball joints, suspension parts, etc... They'll know what to keep an eye out for engine-wise too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts