SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i tried the search and only found a few things; that said , i am looking at a 1999 VR with just under 60,000 miles. It looks to be in good condition, i have yet to drive it. I know the AWD components on these cars can be expensive and i know the EVAP can be pricey. My question is, are there any other items i should look for on the car? Other than some scratches and normal wear it looks as though it was taken care of. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (bkrueger89)

Those are very low miles, you may want to jump on it if it drives and runs well. <p>Check during a test drive for noises from the suspension, tie rods, control arm bushings, ball joints, strut mounts, spring seats, and end links have a high failure rate on these cars. Basically the whole front suspension. Make sure the heated seats work, and all accessories for that matter. Check the sunroof. <p>Make sure the ETM has been updated and make sure it idles well. <p>I would personally do a timing belt service just because the car's 10 years old now.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (1999_V70)

The timing belt would something i would immediately do (as well as an entire stage 0), what exactly is the ETM, what do i do to take care of that?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (1999_V70)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>1999_V70</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Check during a test drive for noises from the suspension, tie rods, control arm bushings, ball joints, strut mounts, spring seats, and end links have a high failure rate on these cars. Basically the whole front suspension. Make sure the heated seats work, and all accessories for that matter. Check the sunroof. <p><B>A BIT EARLY FOR A COMPLETE FRONT END REBUILD</B><p>Make sure the ETM has been updated and make sure it idles well. <p><B>ABSOLUTELY</B><p>I would personally do a timing belt service just because the car's 10 years old now. <p><B>ALSO ABSOLUTELY</B><br></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (JRL)

I will check the suspension, but what again is the ETM, sorry im ignorant on this.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Read (everything) and learn...<br><A HREF="http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=df347289874e1a1bbadd6cfacfa9b7f" TARGET="_blank">http://www.matthewsvolvosite.c...a9b7f</A>

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I will definately do that ASAP if i end up getting it. i may have misunderstood, but is it within 10 years or at 10 years (the car is a 99....its 2009) this may be a stupid question.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts

I would imagine 10 years from the in service date of the vehicle.<br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>bkrueger89</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will definately<B> do that ASAP</B> if i end up getting it. i may have misunderstood, but is it within 10 years or at 10 years (the car is a 99....its 2009) this may be a stupid question. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>You don't <I>"do that ASAP"</I> If it fails AND the car shows a specific code, THEN Volvo replaces it, otherwise you're SOL.<br>Your 10 years is about over, (if not already, 99's started to come out in the fall of 1998).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Alright, <p>Well thanks for the pointers, hopefully ill get some more info this next week on the car, its not super close to me so i need to make the call whether it is worth pursuing or not...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts