SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i tried the search and only found a few things; that said , i am looking at a 1999 VR with just under 60,000 miles. It looks to be in good condition, i have yet to drive it. I know the AWD components on these cars can be expensive and i know the EVAP can be pricey. My question is, are there any other items i should look for on the car? Other than some scratches and normal wear it looks as though it was taken care of. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (bkrueger89)

Those are very low miles, you may want to jump on it if it drives and runs well.

Check during a test drive for noises from the suspension, tie rods, control arm bushings, ball joints, strut mounts, spring seats, and end links have a high failure rate on these cars. Basically the whole front suspension. Make sure the heated seats work, and all accessories for that matter. Check the sunroof.

Make sure the ETM has been updated and make sure it idles well.

I would personally do a timing belt service just because the car's 10 years old now.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (1999_V70)

The timing belt would something i would immediately do (as well as an entire stage 0), what exactly is the ETM, what do i do to take care of that?

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (1999_V70)

Quote, originally posted by 1999_V70 »

Check during a test drive for noises from the suspension, tie rods, control arm bushings, ball joints, strut mounts, spring seats, and end links have a high failure rate on these cars. Basically the whole front suspension. Make sure the heated seats work, and all accessories for that matter. Check the sunroof.

A BIT EARLY FOR A COMPLETE FRONT END REBUILD

Make sure the ETM has been updated and make sure it idles well.

ABSOLUTELY

I would personally do a timing belt service just because the car's 10 years old now.

ALSO ABSOLUTELY

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (JRL)

I will definately do that ASAP if i end up getting it. i may have misunderstood, but is it within 10 years or at 10 years (the car is a 99....its 2009) this may be a stupid question.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts

I would imagine 10 years from the in service date of the vehicle.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bkrueger89 »
I will definately do that ASAP if i end up getting it. i may have misunderstood, but is it within 10 years or at 10 years (the car is a 99....its 2009) this may be a stupid question.

You don't "do that ASAP" If it fails AND the car shows a specific code, THEN Volvo replaces it, otherwise you're SOL.
Your 10 years is about over, (if not already, 99's started to come out in the fall of 1998).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 1999 V70R potential buy (JRL)

Alright,

Well thanks for the pointers, hopefully ill get some more info this next week on the car, its not super close to me so i need to make the call whether it is worth pursuing or not...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.