SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Not familiar with it but it looks great and is a nice rare color combo, probably the best color on a Gen 1 XC 70.

Red/Graphite looks sharp. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I would run far away from this one. It has mismatched tires. That's almost as good as just writing that it has AWD issues in the ad.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Still pretty nice
Killer interior
I would be happy to give it a professional used car check (for a small fee) and see if the mismatched tires did any damage or not.

This is probably what he paid for it a week ago!
Auction sales reports
08/15/12 NJ Lease $1,450 148,555 Avg RED 5G A

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
I would run far away from this one. It has mismatched tires. That's almost as good as just writing that it has AWD issues in the ad.
Good catch Will !!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Awd issues

Just curious, but what is the worst awd issue from mismatched tires? Replace the prop shaft and angle gear or worst than that? By 140,000 miles those would be coming up anyway, no?
My Mrs. had a new V70 awd (non XC) and it was a super car but the car had a shake that came on around 55-60 mph. The dealer did all kinds of work ( new shaft and even replaced the trans) but it wouldn't go away. They did a lemon law deal for me to make good on the issue. She still says that was her favorite car.

But looking at the eBay car it looks really nice and if the repairs are moderate like prop shaft and angle gear it could be a nice car for someone at the $2000 bid I saw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still pretty nice
Killer interior
I would be happy to give it a professional used car check (for a small fee) and see if the mismatched tires did any damage or not.

This is probably what he paid for it a week ago!
Auction sales reports
08/15/12 NJ Lease $1,450 148,555 Avg RED 5G A
What type of service are you offering and how much? What do you guys think of the black one?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I actually emailed the seller to ask if the AWD was checked out properly and he got super offended and sent me back a nasty email telling me to read the supplement from Volvo and educate myself on its AWD system :D (because clearly I'm not very knowledgeable about it) and didn't answer my question of course.

Still, it would be worth having it inspected by a Volvo mechanic and if all is well just put a new set of tires on there.

The potential AWD problems from mismatched tires tend to be overheating the viscous coupling.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
I actually emailed the seller to ask if the AWD was checked out properly and he got super offended and sent me back a nasty email telling me to read the supplement from Volvo and educate myself on its AWD system :D (because clearly I'm not very knowledgeable about it) and didn't answer my question of course.

Still, it would be worth having it inspected by a Volvo mechanic and if all is well just put a new set of tires on there.

The potential AWD problems from mismatched tires tend to be overheating the viscous coupling.
if a seller gives you lip move on. I had a seller add something to the auction description after I asked about that item and told me to read the auction. Those kinds of unscrupulous sellers can go jump off a cliff. I also don't bid on auctions where I ask a question and the seller won't put the answer in the description, esepcially if it is something critical to the item.

·
Registered
572 Posts
rear bumper looks a little off... nice car

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys. I'm going to stay away from both finds for now. I also sent emails with no response. I am looking for a XC or V70R from around 2000 if anyone is selling on here. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts