SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals, Ive learned a lot from the forums over my years of volvo ownership but this is my first posting here as this 99 T5 manual is giving me fits.
I'm hoping to get some guidance on this from the experts here.
Based on the below information I plan on trying to get a used throttle pedal assembly but the ETM codes after TPS replacement have me a bit concerned.
Ive read on some occasions the ETM driver PCB can go bad.
Has anyone ever tried to Resolder the driver PCB before?

Here is the short story, see below for more work done...
Currently the car has an intermittent issue after it is started it will miss at idle on a couple cylinders and only rev to 2500-3000 rpm.
When its missing on a couple cylinders it throws no codes with my generic reader.
I think this is limp mode but correct me if i'm wrong.
When the issue is occurring my generic code reader shows absolute throttle position stuck at somewhere around 17-20% even though the car is responding to throttle movements.
The issue has persisted after replacement of the Sacer TPS install from Module masters.
The car currently does not have an ETS light on and No check engine light.
I took it to a shop and we scanned it with an Autel reader and found 3 ETM related intermittent codes.
ECM-9190 Throttle Unit Internal Fault; 8 cycles since fault was last validated
ECM-917F Accelerator Pedal position sensor internal fault; 6 cycles since fault was last validated
ECM-903F throttle unit internal fault; 44 cycles since fault was last validated

Some background information...the long story in chronological order....
Car has 225,000 miles and I purchased it at 180000 miles and performed maintenance since purchase.
No Modifications at all and just normal maintenance performed.
On a couple rare occasions 2-3 times the car has had a no start issue and after sitting a while it restarts. This issue seemed fuel related but I couldn't track it down since it was so intermittent.
Car started intermittently going into limp mode on startup a few weeks ago.
Problem seems to get better if the car goes up to temp then is restarted, can drive for hours sometimes without happening.
Originally the car had an upstream O2 code around the time of problem and this was replaced with a bosch unit.
I reset the codes and that O2 code hasn't come back
Replaced the TPS with a Sacer unit but did not set the voltage as I only found this info after the replacement and continued problem.
I'm sure the install of the TPS is good and I'm very experienced with electrical work.
Cleaned the MAF
After problem persisted I cleaned the contact surfaces inside the throttle pedal.
Replaced the air filter, found a mouse nest in the airbox below the filter, damn mice!!!!
Replaced a few vacuum lines as they we looking a little gummy and dryrotted.
Replaced the spark plugs recently as they were around 20-30k miles old
Took it to a shop where we discovered the additional codes that my standard reader did not see.
Ordered a VIDA scanner but that hasnt arrived yet. When it does I plan on doing the ETM sweep test.

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
Etm issues. Replace with 2014+ volvo unit or xemodex for 5 cyl turbos. hot swappable.

accl pedal fault is usually never the pedal its the system.

TPS is only one part of the system the rest of the throttle ecu does fail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not heard about the 2014 etm swap, I’ll have to look that up. Does that work for the T5 cars as well, and what is the donor vehicle?

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
I had not heard about the 2014 etm swap, I’ll have to look that up. Does that work for the T5 cars as well, and what is the donor vehicle?
ETM 101:

NA-NA 5 cyl

Turbo to Turbo 5 cyl.

Hot swap, no software any year. Just the gasket and plug it in.

2014+ volvo build ETM's are white label and do not say Magnetti Marelli anywhere. Just a serial that includes a X 2013 or higher date.

Like this

any P80 or P2 with this updated etm OR a Xemodex is a valid donor

·
Registered
637 Posts
Before you buy one of the latest Volvo ETMs make sure your existing one is a yellow label with the updated software. The latest version won't work in cars that still have an original white label ETM.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Before you buy one of the latest Volvo ETMs make sure your existing one is a yellow label with the updated software. The latest version won't work in cars that still have an original white label ETM.
So you're saying that the yellow label ETMs were installed along with a software update? I have a used 2006 yellow label in mine, which had the original failing ETM when I bought it.

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
So you're saying that the yellow label ETMs were installed along with a software update? I have a used 2006 yellow label in mine, which had the original failing ETM when I bought it.
Not 100% related.

The “software update” changed the idle speed so the etm would ride in a different part of the magnetic contact strip. I have yet to see a me7 p80 that doesn’t have the software update (dirty quick not fix that avoided replacing etms) regardless if it still has the original white label etm or later yellow label. Always etm tested everything during pre purchase inspection and across 20+ cars it’s always been revised etm software. The TNN on these issues can be found that details more about the specifics if you’re super curious.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Not 100% related.

The “software update” changed the idle speed so the etm would ride in a different part of the magnetic contact strip. I have yet to see a me7 p80 that doesn’t have the software update (dirty quick not fix that avoided replacing etms) regardless if it still has the original white label etm or later yellow label. Always etm tested everything during pre purchase inspection and across 20+ cars it’s always been revised etm software. The TNN on these issues can be found that details more about the specifics if you’re super curious.
Gotcha, I believe mine has the latest software. That was one thing I checked a couple times just to be sure it wasn't causing some random ETM issues.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I figured the two went hand in hand, good to know. I only bring it up because I tried to install one of the latest ETMs in my '99 S70 in place of the original white label unit and even though the replacement was confirmed to be from a Denso car it barely ran with it installed. I can't do the VIDA sweep test with the original ETM installed so I think that must mean it has the original software. In any case the original unit is still fine somehow, the issue I was troubleshooting turned out to be unplugged knock sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.
My ETM was a yellow label unit and has the following software on it, looks like it was updated because the ETM test was allowed.
Serial No 012199000088
Hardware number 0009186793 B
Diagnostic number 30785387 A
Software number 0009471552 A
Software number 0030785178 A
So it looks like the problem is gradually getting worse. I kind of suspect a failing etm but here is the latest info.
I got VIDA running finally using one of the VCXnano readers and was able to read the codes and do the ETM test.
The ETM test shows some odd graph behavior and it was a little weird the first time I ran it. The throttle angle didnt seem to move at all.
I think i may not have had it scaled full screen or something but it ran and didnt show any odd values.
The second time it ran it showed the throttle angle and completed with .3% error.
I'm now seeing several codes in VIDA that are throttle related etc. Could you guys take a look and give your opinion?
I also now have an ETS light on.

ECM-912A Communication with the engine control module (ECM) - Signal missing
ECM-9190 Throttle position (TP) - Faulty current
ECM-91A7 Throttle position (TP) - Faulty control
ECM-91F0 Throttle position (TP) - Faulty current
ECM-902A Communication with throttle unit - Signal too low
ECM-903F Throttle position (TP) - Signal missing
ECM-917F Accelerator pedal position - Faulty signal
ECM-E000 Control module communication - Internal fault
Checking compression
Checking for knocking and rasping
Checking fuel and residual pressures
Checking injectors
Checking spark plugs
Checking the freewheel on a generator (GEN)
Checking three-way catalytic converter (TWC) and exhaust system

Here was a screengrab while it was misbehaving

https://photos.app.goo.gl/89bHpNQFvDfaPSQe9

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So once the car cooled enough last night I ran the ETM test and codes again. This thing is definitely temperature related at this point.
Here is the ETM test when its acting up
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ua2mLPWRNJoarC2b9.

after I heated the ETM with a heatgun it ran the test and looked normal

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7edvABVpSAs4TzXg8

This is what shows up when the problem is happening ECM9190
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fUhqFCXkZiMF1nfQA

Looks like i'll be after a new ETM
Yup, looks like your ETM is dead. Take it from me... just buy a Xemodex! I tried repairing it myself multiple times and it didn't last more than a week.

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
ton on ebay for $150-200

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
ton on ebay for $150-200
Yup, that's going to be the most affordable option. A used ETM from eBay. Or if you're like me and love junkyards, that will be the cheapest option!

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
Actually I just remembered I have a Volvo late version that I took apart to prove it was contactless. Needs the wires resoldered and the end put back on. Free if you want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I just remembered I have a Volvo late version that I took apart to prove it was contactless. Needs the wires resoldered and the end put back on. Free if you want it.
Sure I’ll take it. PM or email me a paypal address and I can cover shipping.
Jkxr4ti at yahoo dot com

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I needed to get the car going I went the Junkyard route. I had to use a white label pre 2013 ETM as that was the best I could find. This ended up coming from a turbo P2 V70 but it works and cured the problem.
The ETM test on this unit listed a max of 9% variance on the TPS vs Motor position Pots so at some point i'll swap in my Sacer TPS unit on the new/used ETM.
Scottishbrick, no need to send that ETM as i'm good now.
Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
sorry in advance for my english but i use google translator.

I have a problem with the throttle in my S70. There is a problem with ETM communication.
I changed the engine computer, and the throttle from a second Volvo, counter, MAF, accelerator pedal and the problem did not disappear. I checked the voltage and it's about 13v. Vida shows errors:
CDM-DF13 CAN-bus H signal too high
CDM-DF16 CAN-bus L signal too high
ECM-902A Communication with throttle unit- Signal to high
ECM-903F- throttle position- signal too low

I have changed the engine to 2.3T5 from C70 1999 ME7. I had the same problem after swap. One day the car started and worked properly. Recently, the problem has returned, and I don't know what could be the reason

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hello
sorry in advance for my english but i use google translator.

I have a problem with the throttle in my S70. There is a problem with ETM communication.
I changed the engine computer, and the throttle from a second Volvo, counter, MAF, accelerator pedal and the problem did not disappear. I checked the voltage and it's about 13v. Vida shows errors:
CDM-DF13 CAN-bus H signal too high
CDM-DF16 CAN-bus L signal too high
ECM-902A Communication with throttle unit- Signal to high
ECM-903F- throttle position- signal too low

I have changed the engine to 2.3T5 from C70 1999 ME7. I had the same problem after swap. One day the car started and worked properly. Recently, the problem has returned, and I don't know what could be the reason
You might want to start your own thread with this to get more attention.

From what I understand, you replaced the ECU, ETM, accelerator pedal/APP and MAF. I'm not sure what the counter is, maybe the cluster/rev counter? Did you have the ECU programmed to the car with VIDA? If not, it likely won't start at all and will certainly give you CAN error codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you have the ECU programmed to the car with VIDA? If not, it likely won't start at all and will certainly give you CAN error codes.
I didn't program ECU. I'm using vida to read errors only. By the way, there was no problem for 2 months. So if there was a problem with the software then the car would not work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts