SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new car. I absolutely LOVE the S80 T6, however I have been very disappointed to hear that the 1999 S80 is a "lemon" (the 2000 model are above my budget). I am therefore considering a 00 or 01 Passat GLS. <P>I am looking for a car which is roomy, powerful engine, and most importantly fun to drive.<P>My question is the following:<P>a) is it safe to say I should avoid the 1999 S80 T6 ?<P>b) can any one offer some advice and experience with the passat?<P>Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toronto_man:<BR><B>I am looking to buy a new car. I absolutely LOVE the S80 T6, however I have been very disappointed to hear that the 1999 S80 is a "lemon" (the 2000 model are above my budget). I am therefore considering a 00 or 01 Passat GLS. <P>I am looking for a car which is roomy, powerful engine, and most importantly fun to drive.<P>My question is the following:<P>a) is it safe to say I should avoid the 1999 S80 T6 ?<P>b) can any one offer some advice and experience with the passat?<P>Thanks for your help.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No one (that can be taken seriously, anyway) has claimed that a 1999 S80 is a lemon. No one could even claim that at least half of the 1999 S80s are lemons. Find a 1999 that its last 6 digits of the VIN are greater than 042000 and you should be more than OK. Get a complete history of any service campaigns performed at a Volvo Retailer. If you do not have that, get the VIN and have your local Retailer print you a list or find out from them who was the original Retailer. Then call THEM and have them send you the complete history.<P>The VW is a nice, accomplished car but it cannot hold a candle to any S80 T6. It's like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Lexus GS400 or a BMW 5-series. Totally apples to oranges.<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yannis,<P>You are so right!!! I went to check out the Passat this weekend, and very quickly turned off by it. The driving was...ok, but the interior was very uncomfortable. <P>Thanks for the advice about the VIN numbers for the S80. I think I have settled myself on the S80...there is no car like it!!<P>

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had one and although I had my share of mechanical difficulties, it was by no means a lemon. I have heard that they were problematic and the consumer ratings are all very poor. But as an owner, I cannot verify any of the reports since my car did very nicely for the 36k miles I put on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I only stopped by here since I bought an old 760 (and like S80's). BUT - I do happen to have a Passat. <BR>Its a 99 GLX, and, frankly, I think it is one of the most beautifully assembled cars for the price. We have a GLX (all the goodies) with the V6. The V6 is a good performer with the automatic or 5 speed. the 1.8T is a very tunable engine - chipped, they can return 225hp. But, I found/find the 1.8T automatic is a bit sluggish off the line. On the highway, its fine.<BR>It is very comfortable for me, at 6'8", whether on front or back.<BR>If you would like a similar forum, check out <A HREF="http://www.clubb5.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.clubb5.com</A> <BR>By the way - we bought the Passat after driving: V70, Lincoln LS, 300M, A6, an ES300. thet otal package- room, build quality, etc. could not be beat!<P>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts