SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1227 Posts

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
I think this project has exceeded the limits of remote tuning.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Another option for tuning would be virtual. I would think Rob would be happy to work with you remotely while the car is on a dyno.
I agree in the sense that this is beyond sending street logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,144
Another option for tuning would be virtual. I would think Rob would be happy to work with you remotely while the car is on a dyno.
I agree in the sense that this is beyond sending street logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't considered or thought of that, not a bad idea. That would be a two for one cus I'd know what i made lol. I'm really nervous about bending another rod tho. that ****in sucked

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
there is no way I could pay for another tune lol. what are the rates of ur guy up there, Steve?
Generally $500 for a tune, done in person.

The 00 ecu has a faster processor and more memory. It’s like the me4.4 upgrade, all over again.

The cam position sensor is different in 00 but only that. So you change the ecu and cam sensor, flash the new hardware with your tune and all the rest of the specifics.

It’s extremely noticeable, all 00s compared to their identical twin 99s are significantly smoother and faster.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,147

The 00 ecu has a faster processor and more memory. It’s like the me4.4 upgrade, all over again.

The cam position sensor is different in 00 but only that. So you change the ecu and cam sensor, flash the new hardware with your tune and all the rest of the specifics.

It’s extremely noticeable, all 00s compared to their identical twin 99s are significantly smoother and faster.
yeah no can do on the 500$ tune lol. Although that Is literally half the price of my tune from hilton. Can I pull a 2000 ecu from a junkyard car ?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts

So to just triple check I am reading this correct, if I want to tune my ‘99 V70R, you would suggest swapping to a 2000 ecu and cam position sensor?

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
So to just triple check I am reading this correct, if I want to tune my ‘99 V70R, you would suggest swapping to a 2000 ecu and cam position sensor?
Absolutely.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
yeah no can do on the 500$ tune lol. Although that Is literally half the price of my tune from hilton. Can I pull a 2000 ecu from a junkyard car ?
You paid Hilton a G to blow up your car? Wowwwwwww.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It's a shame ARD isn't around anymore, he could have done that for half the price! 😂

The whole rod bending thing is a little odd though. I'm wondering how that happened so easily. Seems your boost control wasn't up to par.

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
I'm going to do it to my mom's GLT because my friend's 2000 GLT is way faster.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'm going to do it to my mom's GLT because my friend's 2000 GLT is way faster.
I need to get my 2000 GLT back together and drive it to see how it feels, it's been a while since I've driven it. I know I really enjoyed the car, but it didn't feel particularly fast.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154
Yeah.. total was over 1k and with a discount for black Friday I paid 875$.

It's a shame ARD isn't around anymore, he could have done that for half the price! 😂

The whole rod bending thing is a little odd though. I'm wondering how that happened so easily. Seems your boost control wasn't up to par.
well, I guess it wasn't. I don't really blame him, I paid for the torque limiter delete, per his recommendation. At the time, in my head I was at a safe level. I thought the magic number for boost was 20 psi, so I was chillin at 19. I forgot that low end and midrange is where it counts for rod bending. I guess the only thing I wish was different was that he steered me away from that, or at least keep any kind of torque limiting

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well, I guess it wasn't. I don't really blame him, I paid for the torque limiter delete, per his recommendation. At the time, in my head I was at a safe level. I thought the magic number for boost was 20 psi, so I was chillin at 19. I forgot that low end and midrange is where it counts for rod bending. I guess the only thing I wish was different was that he steered me away from that, or at least keep any kind of torque limiting
They key with that is you don't want full boost in the low revs, under 4k RPM really. The torque limiter is designed to safeguard your transmission. I feel you probably had that 19 PSI a little too early.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
They key with that is you don't want full boost in the low revs, under 4k RPM really. The torque limiter is designed to safeguard your transmission. I feel you probably had that 19 PSI a little too early.
Kinda like the XC that had the wastegate wired shut and made 25 psi....once.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157
Yep, i had 19 psi in first gear as fast as the turbo would spool it. for the 2 weeks it lasted it felt fantastic. hindsight always 20/20 i guess. How do you guys do boost by gear (on an auto trans) ? I hear you guys sayin 2000 ECU better for boost control, so would it enable boost by gear, or does it just respond faster control something like a boost spike? From what Rob said, it seemed to me like he was saying boost by gear wasn't possible on an auto trans.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,158
Here are some of the things he said on the topic of boost control:

(after blowing up)
Me: can i have a version of 10-12 psi in 1st gear, 15 in 2nd and 18 in 3rd-4th
Rob: "Hi Jeremy, boost by gear is not directly configurable on automatic transmissions, but we've uploaded a v12 file that we've done some configuration to make it more like you're asking"
Me: ohh okay. Can you give me an idea of what the changes are?
Rob: "We've reduced boost output in the lower RPMs, adjusted turbo control and applied some limiting in the first couple gears to try and achieve your requested results"
Me: oh also, you said the boost would be limited in the RPM range, what is the boost going to cap out at ?
Rob: "Unfortunately this ECU isn’t a boost set point for control, so it’s impossible to say exactly, but we’ve adjusted the load mapping to output roughly 16-18psi under most conditions. The only way to know exact boost is from logging"

No way trying to slander, just trying to get clarification how to best achieve the goal of not blowing up

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Me7 doesn’t use “boost” it just observes it. The ecu is load management dependent and targeted. Boost is a reaction to load, but also a measure of restriction. So that’s overall correct. However you just had the barn thrown at the motor off the line and, well, it didn’t like it.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
1141 - 1160 of 1227 Posts