SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
Fair point, good to know. My dad suggested for the inlet/charge pipe, we go to LKQ and grab the round (not oval from an s60r) over-the-engine charge pipe from a number of volvos, and we can take the longest part of that and use a step up silicone hose to get on the bigger inlet of the k24. Just a rough idea so far, wont know until i go get the pipe, but if i dont spend 175$ on that snabb pipe, that could be my fuel pump and injectors :)
I mean the R/T5 inlet pipe will work, the OTE not so much.

·
Registered
16,123 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
ayyyyyyy ill save that fat 175$. I just ordered my exhaust manifold and green injectors :) im so excited i cant wait they both get here next week, turbo comes in today ill let yall know if it has shaft play or anything. So, if i dont need that snabb piece, and you said the inlet on the k24 is bigger than the 16t, should i just use the step-up silicone fitting?

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
You’ll see when it all gets there. Deff can’t step up the stock intake that won’t work whatsoever. Please tell me you didn’t buy a “R” manifold

·
Registered
16,123 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I did buy the "R" Manifold, whats wrong with that? I can always cancel the order lol.
I was in your shoes three years ago. Only I have 2.5 T engine the same as R engine. Also have K24 turbo, and other R bits. My car was easier to bolt this stuff on and I still abandoned it on the advice of these guys.

Listen to Scottish brick, I implore you.

He is a great source of info, wisdom, parts, advice and occasionally humour

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I cant find one, only ones i can find are the R manifold and the stock manifold, not the bigger japanifold. Id love to get that one if i could find it, but i cant. Any keywords i can add to my search that might help? Also apparently my dad already has that Snabb pipe. He has the IPD version, but its sitting in my garage right now lol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yeah i was going to do a 19t swap, but i cant source the turbo, and even if i could its like double the price of the k24 :( And yeah he has been really helpful even though he doesn't want me to do this swap lol.

·
Registered
16,123 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Is it worth doing e85 if i did a fuel pump? Just something ive been thinking about i guess, there are local e85 stations less than 2 miles from my house

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
Is it worth doing e85 if i did a fuel pump? Just something ive been thinking about i guess, there are local e85 stations less than 2 miles from my house
What 850cc injectors you gonna get?

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
You need to assess how fast you're trying to go and then come up with a plan. Randomly opening various parts cannons isn't going to end well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Also, whats wrong with the R manifold? Are there like flow benchmarks for these? And yeah man i keep seeing all these posts in the classifieds too late :( Missed out on that 18t and 19t, japanifold, tme exhaust...

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
Also, whats wrong with the R manifold? Are there like flow benchmarks for these? And yeah man i keep seeing all these posts in the classifieds too late :( Missed out on that 18t and 19t, japanifold, tme exhaust...
I’m literally going to assign you some homework. Google is a fantastic tool and damn near all these questions have been answered many times with excellent data, usually not on volvospeed though.

Ok, anyway, here’s what the deal is with 5 cyl manifolds.

Based on the firing order of Volvo 5 cylinder engines which is 1-2-4-5-3, the 2.5t manifold cannot out perform the Japanifold in the higher rpm range.

With an 2.5t manifold the exhaust from cylinders 1, 2 & 3 is all routed through one runner. With a japanifold its cylinder 1 into 4 and cylinder 2 & 3 together, relatively separated exhaust pulses in firing order at that. The runners in the japanifold are better proportioned for 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 size wise. Japanifold is a 2-2-1 manifold, 2.5t is a 3-1-1 manifold. Interestingly volvo chose a 2-2-1 design for the RNC 5 cyl manifolds as well and ditched the 2.5t design.

2.5 manifold was designed to save Ford money...2 lbs 1 oz of 304 stianless. Even at todays scrap prices thats a buck, the kind of "fat" that supply chain managers looooove to take credit for trimming.

Now, real numbers.

Japanifold is 10mm larger in diameter than a 2.5t manifold at the manifold to turbo transition, a constriction that simply does not make sense with the larger TD04HL housings and K24. IPD claims they found the "r" aka 2.5t manifold to spool 100 rpm faster. Considering ive never seen that test referenced in anything other than forum banter and its all of a 100 rpm that could be too easily manipulated by minute adjustments in wastegate preload, engine load ect.

Of all the japanifolds ive harvested and sold, the worst warp we ever found was slightly less than 0.001". The average 2.5t manifold is about 0.015" and a lot of the ones from R cars and T5s are 0.030" or worse up to the point of not being able to be shaved flat again. Cyl 5 loves to lift off the head.

Internal volume is obviously larger in the japanifold, I do not currently have a volumetric number on that but i should quantify it in the future.

R manifold also sounds particularly boring in comparison, however that’s subjective opinion.

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
Japanifolds are in the pipeline. I have two at the machine shop being made perfect. This stuff ain’t one and done.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
LOL

61 - 80 of 500 Posts