SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 208k my suspension has seen better days, I just ordered new lower a arms. This is completely different from the jeeps and gm trucks that I have always worked on. According to the part counter guy my car has electronic struts. Are there non electronic options that I can replace them with? Then in the back, there are coils with shocks that look like they have a spring on them as well. What is my lowest cost option for replacement? Also how can I tell what strut bearings I need before I remove them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No OEM electronic struts on P80s. Parts counter guy probably got it mixed up with the next generation 70's, which had the 4C-shocks with stiffness adjustment.

Technically, you dont have an XC70, but a V70 XC. Here in Norway, getting the two wrong usually end up in no parts available.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The front suspension in your XC is essentially the same as any FWD Volvo x70 98-2000. There are lots of options (but not electronic ones ;) ) available but the OE stuff was made by Sachs. It's also very cost-effective as new struts can typically be found for ~100 a side. You can but the upgraded spring seats from the XC90 which have a bit more rubber and will last longer. If you replace the strut mounts be sure to stick with Sachs/Boge/INA rather than Scantech or other cheap aftermarket brands.

The rear suspension on your XC is probably a nivomat shock which is self-leveling. Unfortunately the options are pretty limited there. You are best off just replacing them through one of the online Volvo dealers/parts suppliers. There are 3 different part numbers. Your XC should have come with one ending in '026.' You probably won't need to replace the springs unless they're broken but you want to inspect the bump stops, spring seats and probably replace the rear shock mounts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so looking on rock auto would the $63 kyb strut work then?

And is this the strut mount I need?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If you want to be completely comprehensive here are the Volvo part numbers for the front suspension parts needed:
-9191569 x2 struts (there are plenty of other part numbers and they're all essentially the same from Sachs as long as they are for a P80 Volvo)
-9169021 x2 front AWD springs
-30683637 x2 XC90 Spring Seat
-31200599 x2 OE Strut Mounts
-9157705 x2 Spring Mounting Spacer (most people including dealer techs forget about this)
-30647969 x2 Strut Mount Cap
-31201386 x2 strut washer
-9140067 x2 bump stop

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Seconding Big Will here. I've had several of those cheap aftermarket spring seats and strut mounts, both on my 850 and my '99. All failed to an extent (noises when turning, less comfort, spring seats letting go of the strut upper mount..) within six months. Switched to OEM, life has been good for a year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a ton, it's time to start compiling parts!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts