SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my front end is making all types of noise, and the front tires are worn bad; driver tire bald on outside/passenger tire bald on inside. I am going to install new control arms, TRE's, sway bar links, and new tires. Afterwards I want to get a 4 wheel alignment.

I am looking for the alignment specs for this car, I found some specs but I want to be sure so I can bring them to the alignment shop.

I found out, or so I've read, that you can only adjust toe on a S70 and that the rear must be done first.

Can anyone confirm these specs I found?

Front: +0.12" to +0.22" per side
+0.23" to +0.43" in total

Rears: -0.02" to +0.16" per side
-0.04" to +0.32" in total

If these are the correct specs, would it be best to have the shop aim for the middle of each adjustment range(F: +0.17" & R: +0.07")?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Not right too much toe

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a Volvo forum full of Volvo enthusiasts and a google search can't produce alignment specs for an 18 hear old car:facepalm:

What is the big secret:confused:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
who the ferk remembers the specs??? The alignment shop has them in their computer..??

Just make it go straight

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
who the ferk remembers the specs??? The alignment shop has them in their computer..??

Just make it go straight
They don't have to be remembered, you are telling me nobody has them written down or saved on their computer?

I would like to know the specs so when I get the final printout, I can make sure they are within spec.

There more to an alignment than "Just make it go straight".

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah I know. Being funny

The alignment shop's computer will have a printout of what it is compared to the factory specs. I don't save my alignment printouts, otherwise I would show you

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^gotcha. I guess I'm just used to bringing in my own alignment specs to the shops, I have been driving lowered cars for the past 15 years, so I'm not used to just going in and trusting the alignment shop to do whatever they want lol

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. For my S60R I have adjustable camber plates so ill bring some specs with me.

For an s70 on the original type of strut, they'll have it, pretty standard.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Oh and front camber IS adjustable to a point.
Sometimes if you have a problem car (pulling for no good reason after it's aligned with new parts) you may have to adjust front camber NOT to spec to have it go straight.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So my front end is making all types of noise, and the front tires are worn bad; driver tire bald on outside/passenger tire bald on inside. I am going to install new control arms, TRE's, sway bar links, and new tires. Afterwards I want to get a 4 wheel alignment.

I am looking for the alignment specs for this car, I found some specs but I want to be sure so I can bring them to the alignment shop.

I found out, or so I've read, that you can only adjust toe on a S70 and that the rear must be done first.

Can anyone confirm these specs I found?

Front: +0.12" to +0.22" per side
+0.23" to +0.43" in total

Rears: -0.02" to +0.16" per side
-0.04" to +0.32" in total

If these are the correct specs, would it be best to have the shop aim for the middle of each adjustment range(F: +0.17" & R: +0.07")?
From the last alignment I got

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and front camber IS adjustable to a point.
Sometimes if you have a problem car (pulling for no good reason after it's aligned with new parts) you may have to adjust front camber NOT to spec to have it go straight.
I don't have a problem with having the camber out of spec to have the car drive straight.
From the last alignment I got
Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Thanks man:thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

anything i can do about this rear camber?

another question, I did full front suspension refresh yesterday with meyle hd parts, also, new driver cv and seal. brand new tires on neptunes, and alignment this morning. at around 60mph or so, i still get a slight shake in the front end. when I was under there yesterday doing the suspension work, i noticed the subframe bushings looked kind of old an hurting. can these be the cause of my minor vibrations?

·
Registered
17,307 Posts

anything i can do about this rear camber?

another question, I did full front suspension refresh yesterday with meyle hd parts, also, new driver cv and seal. brand new tires on neptunes, and alignment this morning. at around 60mph or so, i still get a slight shake in the front end. when I was under there yesterday doing the suspension work, i noticed the subframe bushings looked kind of old an hurting. can these be the cause of my minor vibrations?
You can replace the delta link bushings. My rear was out but after new bushings everything went back into spec.

That's not a lot of toe....P80 cars tend to like more toe than the minimum.

What parts did you replace? inner/outer tie rods, LCA bushings and ball joint are all suspect. Worst case it could be play in the rack.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can replace the delta link bushings. My rear was out but after new bushings everything went back into spec.

That's not a lot of toe....P80 cars tend to like more toe than the minimum.

What parts did you replace? inner/outer tie rods, LCA bushings and ball joint are all suspect. Worst case it could be play in the rack.
I will inspect my delta link bushings and replace if necessary, hell, they are probably cheap, ill just replace them

p80's like more toe? i didnt align it, that's the reason i started this thread last year, to get the optimum specs cor alignment, and as you can see, ghe replies were "the alignment shop knows them". lol sure they know them, but we all know they aim just enough to get it into the green, and get the car out, as opposed to setting them midpoint lf the specs.

i did both tre's, both control arms, and sway bar links. when i inspected the rack and inner tre's, they seemed fine. i suspect the culprit may be passenger side axle that i put a new boot and grease on last year :/

·
Registered
16,678 Posts
+1 for checking the delta links. With my dad's '99, I was absolutely convinced something was terribly wrong with the front end driving on the highway......like it was absolutely all over the road; I could not keep it going straight for the life of me. It was horrible. So he took it in for an alignment and they told him they couldn't do it because the rear suspension wasn't stable enough. We've only replaced the worst looking one so far and it already feels 100% better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts