SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to stiffen the front suspension of these cars? Would love to install stiffer springs or shocks or sway bar - anything to try to firm up the ride a bit!

Any suggestions . . . ?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Has anyone found a way to stiffen the front suspension of these cars? Would love to install stiffer springs or shocks or sway bar - anything to try to firm up the ride a bit!

Any suggestions . . . ?
You might find KYB adjustable shocks - what is the car's suspension code?

George Dill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, lets ask a different question:

Does anyone know if the front struts on a V90 are the same as the 960 series cars?

Someone out there must have modified one of these cars . . .

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Alright, lets ask a different question:

Does anyone know if the front struts on a V90 are the same as the 960 series cars?

Someone out there must have modified one of these cars . . .
Yes and no.

The easiest way to see what fits what years for the 960/S90/V90 is to click here...

http://www.fcpeuro.com/

...then use the dropdowns to select year/model then click the "Fitment" Tab for details on any chosen part.

I drove a '96 965 for many years and can say that the USA aftermarket offers very little in the way of suspension improvements.

Sweden has some good stuff but price and shipping is beyond description $$$$$$$.

George Dill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Volvo300,

Yes, the front suspension of a V90 is the same as from S90 and 960 type2 (from 1996 onwards that is).

Here in the Netherlands I've been looking for the same thing, since I have an LPG tank in the back causing extra weight on the rear suspension. Looked like the suspension wasn't altered for that, so the front really was way up in the air. Trying to find lowering springs and struts like Koni yellows is pretty hard, since they all go for 960's <1996...

Recently I had ordered lowering springs for just the front of the car but that lowered it too much in my perception, so I tried something else: the springs from my 1992 Volvo 940. Works like a charm, lowers it just the bit I wanted! Perhaps give that a try?

And for struts the only thing I could find was the 'road holding kit' at www.l-m-r.se: VÄGHÅLLNINGSSATS 960/S/V90 95-98 40-50 MM

Best part of that: it's a complete kit for front and rear, with front struts and lowering springs but also rear struts. Don't know how much shipping would be to the USA (ask Långe-Mikael at [email protected]), but I'm ordering one of those sets for myself. If you want, I can try and look up shipping costs in the cheapest way to you...

Dree

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
OP, you could have a look at rear air bags; most of these systems allow you to adjust the pressure for any given load.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi classicswede & John2x240,

My 960 has got the leaf rear spring from left to right (forgot the official name), so fitting cargo springs or air bags won't work that easy. On the 940, also with LPG tank, I had Monroe ride levelers, but these won't fit on the 960 as well.
But there is no problem with handling because of the extra weight of the tank, it's just a cosmetic thing in my opinion (the rear being lower than the front (and not as much as 'way up in the air' as I described earlier)). Been driving around for 140.000km+ with it and wanting to get the front and rear looking the same.

Dree

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi again,

I don't know the difference in spring rate, but these are three different types of front springs:

- Upper is a lowering spring for 940 and 960 (<'95 I think)
- Middle is the original spring of my 940 (1992)
- Lower is the original spring of my 960 (1996)

I don't know about compression rates and lbs from these springs, but I do know that changing the 960 spring for a 940 made the front go down just the right bit. Still with old shocks so I don't know about that, but I'd give it a try if I were you!

To give you an idea of the L-M-R kit: this is how the car sits right now.

Since trying three different types of rear shocks the rear sits higher than before (can't really explain why). Afraid I'll need to replace the rear leaf spring for a nivomat type.

But as stated, I think as a first and very easy step: get two 940 springs and some spring compressors (and be very carefull with those ;)) and see what that does and how it rides!
Good Luck!

Dree

1 - 10 of 10 Posts