SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 98 v70r. I plan on doing all the work myself and had a few questions. I want to replace the cam seals when i do the timing belt. The driver side cam seals (behind the dizzy and rear seal behind the cam sensor) looks pretty straight forward. But the cam seals on the timing belt side seems a little more intricate.

Any write ups, diy's, or videos on it? After some research it looks like i would have to get a cam locking tool (to lock the cams on the driver side) correct?

Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance. i will start a build thread as soon as i get my camera back.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yep, get a cam locking tool. Line up TDC on the crank, install cam lock on the back of the cams and mark the cam gears relative to where they sit on the cams before removing. May as well throw a new belt on since the old one comes off anyway. I'm sure there must be a youtube video on timing belt replacement for 850 or 98 S/V/C70. Pretty stright forward. When you compress the tensioner, do it slowly.. like over 15 mins. Unles you have a late vin 98 and it has the updated timing belt tensioner.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That kit has a new tensioner so you don't need to worry about compressing it. The new one will already be compressed and have a pin in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts