SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Everyone,

Just picked up a nice new to me 1998 V70XC AWD. Now it wasn't perfect, but the best I've looked at over months of looking. Anyway, it has multitudes of records from the dealer regarding service so I figured I would bite the bullet and take a leap of faith on the vehicle.

Now the owner showed me a list of recommended issues that should be taken care of sometime. One of which is the Viscous Coupler.

When driven the car has a very very slight metallic sound to it. Mechanic said the VC should be replaced at some point in the future. I'm not so certain that is the absolute problem. If it is, obviously this is a big undertaking (and yes the low price reflected this ).

I'm looking for alternatives, and what as a DIY'er I can do to mitigate this. It seems as if I may not be able to drain/refill on my particular model, but if I can that will be my first course of action.

Also by running it with this noise, how long do I have before repair? I have to make a 300 mile trip very soon and will not be able to get to it before then but have to take the vehicle due to size.

I've read about dropping the shaft completely and making it a FWD, which is fine as a temporary solution until I find a reputable, solid part to replace with. Is this an alternative?

So in essence I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Metallic slight griding? Guaranteed VC, and if not, what else can I check?
2. Drop the shaft completely? Good in the short term?
3. Run with it temporarily? Will be ok or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks all, and BTW I love this beast!!! I used to have 92 740 that the wife made me dump!

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Re: 1998 V70 XC - Strange Disconcerning Noise? (kovert)

Hard to diagnose a sound like that- could be any number of things. That said, i have read of many people driving AWD cars without the rear driveshaft. Don't know what to tell you about driving it 300 miles. Is there any obvious leaking? Does the unit have fluid in it?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I guess it could also be a bad angle gear making the noise you are describing. That's not really any better. It's best to fix angle gear problems because eventually they will wear on the transmission.

You can drop the prop shaft of course. It shouldn't be an issue in the summer months. Keep in mind that by dropping the prop shaft, the other parts still spin with the wheels but no power is transferred to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Big Will)

Don't see any noticeable leaks yet, which could mean it's BONE DRY but I doubt it that much.

I'll put it on ramps and see what I can tell but it hasn't gotten any louder and at times it sounds as if it goes away for a short period.

I'll try and drop the shaft if I get a chance, if not everything will get done when I get back
Don't want to wait, but not really much of a choice this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts