SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a tropic 1998 v70 t5m with 215,xxx miles, tinted with 18" IPD Nebulas. Runs like a champ,have a few mods including a snabb intake pipe,ARD TUNE,dry flow filter,IPD HD TCV,and an obx turbo back arriving Wednesday. Also have most of stage 0 done (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel+air filter)Also new vaccum lines. after the tune up the car was perfect for about a month or two then came the CEL, P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire,and also codes for cylinder 2,3+4 misfires as well?!??!?!. Regapped the plugs and checked everything over, light went away for a few drives and is now back and as Im typing car is in my garage for another check over. Car still seems to run great but annoying CEL is kind of scaring me with multiple misfires. Next step is to probably get a MSD coil and see if that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been having kinda the same problem, multiple misfires yet the car runs fine. My problem started after I replaced spark plugs and wires, with Ngk, I changed back to Volvo plugs and wires and i didn't get the codes as much but I'm still getting them some. I'm nit really sure what the problem Is but I notice there is a little oil that went down in where the spark plugs is due to a leaky oil cap so I will check that out later. Like I said my car drives fine and smooth. Let me know if you discover anything and I will do the same

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since cleaning out distributor cap and taking out the plugs and gapping them again and also a bottle of fuel injector cleaner the car does seem a little smoother. Hopefully this cured it but I have only driven about 20 miles but no CEL yet. Also I did have very minor oil residue underneath the cover and did replace the gasket for the oil cap. Not quite sure but for now all is good. I'll keep you updated as to if it comes back and if I find the missing link. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do hope it is fixed for you, but I thought the same thing that it was fixed after driving 50 miles with
No cel and then it popped up again, it's always cylinder 2 and 5 misfires. I will put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in mine and see if that makes a difference, I did notice that my cel only comes on under hard acceleration. Yet I never have felt a miss and car drives smooth like always. Today when the cel popped on it was only for cylinder 2 misfire which is the first time I was like this. And I did notice a little oil rolled all the way down on this one especially, I too just replaced the oil cap seal a weak ago.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Change the coil. I just had to do this, after the plugs, rotor and cap. The plugs ect, diminished the miss, the coil eliminated it. $102.00 from Tasca.

Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You mention stage 0. This topic has been rehashed o lot, but what wires and plugs did you replace with? If not using OEM or kingston wires, and OEM or bosh copper plugs many people end up with misfire codes. Having been there, make sure you are using the right wires and plugs then look into the coil.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the misfire code appear when under wot after I changed my wires. I finally found I had routed the coil wire around something next to the air cleaner box corner. It must run right next to the box or it will pull loose and trip the code.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had the misfire code appear when under wot after I changed my wires. I finally found I had routed the coil wire around something next to the air cleaner box corner. It must run right next to the box or it will pull loose and trip the code.
Had a similar problem. Plug wires were too close to cps wire.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a similar problem, I tracked it down to a failed crankshaft pulse speed sensor. Changed it out, misfires went away immediately. I agree that it could however be a bad ignition coil as well though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I might have fixed my misfire problem, I read on another form that someone had there crankshaft wire too close to the distributed cap and it was touching and causing a misfire so they moved the wire around to where it didn't touch the cap and it fixed there problem and when I went to look at mine I noticed the crankshaft sensor wires were right against the cap so I moved them, and I haven't had a code yet in 50 miles of driving, and before it would send a code every 5 or so miles, so I think it is fixed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another 50 miles and no check engine light! Finally it is fixed. Anyone else had this problem with crankshaft sensor wire touching cap and causing misfire?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts