SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I've got a V70 that is giving me grief and I've tried quite a few things already
but no luck. I'm the original owner and am hoping to get a few more years
out of it.

Symptoms: It runs fine from a cold start but occasionally after 5-10 minutes of driving
it starts to run rough (stalls or starts missing). If I'm driving at a higher speed (40-60), I'll notice some hesitation
at times which I'm calling misfires or missing. If I'm stopped at an intersection, the RPMs will pulse
up and down a few of times between 100-900 and the car will eventually stall. The problem often
clears up after several minutes and then runs fine again. The problem may not show up
for a few days but keeps coming back. It only occurs after the car has been running
for a 5-10 minutes. The car seems to run fine when the problem doesn't exist.
No codes. The problem has been happening for about 6 weeks now.

Fix Attempts:
Replaced MAF
Checked & cleaned plugs
Replaced coil
Replace crank shaft rotation sensor
Cleaned throttle assembly
Replaced rotor and distributor

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
I have one.
No one can make any suggestions until you post the YEAR, model and mileage

EDIT:
Never mind I guess it's a 98 by your description of what was done
Have you cleaned the throttle body?
You may have one bad plug wire or connection

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Well, plugs and wires every 60K with a FULL tune up so I guess you should start there. :eek::facepalm::confused:
(sigh, I'm amazed it even runs at all).

$200 for a MAF but you couldn't spend a few bucks on plug wires? They don't last forever you know.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I always count on the dealer for drive ability issues. Probably would have been cheaper in the long run than throwing random parts at it.

Please don't be upset by the tone of the responses, you just got lucky enough to get the two ornery guys on this forum to jump in first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same thought. I've had a private mechanic work on the car and it also went to the dealership last week
after two failed attempts by the private mechanic to fix the problem.
Between the two of them, they did most of the work described above and it still isn't fixed. Rather than take it back
to the dealer, I thought I'd consult with folks like yourself. I've mentioned plugs and wires a few times and it has
fallen on deaf ears. I'm going to order some today and give that a shot. Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Use OEM Volvo wires

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had the same thought. I've had a private mechanic work on the car and it also went to the dealership last week
after two failed attempts by the private mechanic to fix the problem.
Between the two of them, they did most of the work described above and it still isn't fixed. Rather than take it back
to the dealer, I thought I'd consult with folks like yourself. I've mentioned plugs and wires a few times and it has
fallen on deaf ears. I'm going to order some today and give that a shot. Thanks for your comments!
Oh my gosh! You didn't mention you had "professionals" do all that work. I'd be livid that they've spent all your money and had no positive effect. Isn't there any recourse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts