SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the size of the stock rotors on my car. It has 16" wheels and I am hoping to upgrade the rotors to cross-drilled and/or slotted. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by larryo108:
Does anyone know the size of the stock rotors on my car. It has 16" wheels and I am hoping to upgrade the rotors to cross-drilled and/or slotted. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I believe that the front rotors are 11.2" and the rear are 10.5"?

Yannis

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by larryo108:

No, nobody knows anything at all about the rotors on the '98 V70R. I've asked my dealer this question several times in many different ways: both the parts guys and the mechanics, and they confidently give you a parts number for the driver's side power window motor of a '59 Nash Rambler or rear window crank for a '63 Ford country squire, or offer up some wildly optomistic English/Metric conversion like: "oh, the front ones are 16-inchers--that's 112 milli-cubits, and the rears...ah hell, they might be something like 12 3/4 footNewtons...I'd haveta check on that though..".

Mysteriously, none of the aftermarket guys seem to know anything about the brakes on the '98V70Rs either...they beg off by saying: "we don't stock them" or "you tell us the Volvo part number and we will order it." Clearly, they aren't interested in selling parts to the kind of auto entheusiast who would buy one of the "R's" in the first place. You might have noticed that the "'98V70R" has the least aftermarket parts available of any volvo ever made. I would have to think lawyers are involved in this conspiracy.

Volvo America is no help at all.

I know what you're thinking--you've probably heard that "some of the "R's" with 16 or 17 inch wheels were delivered with "16-inch brakes". This is a Volvo secret code that might mean "302mm front rotors". Actually, none of the US market '98 V70Rs were delivered with "16-inch brakes". Volvo knows that the speed limit in the US is ~55 mph, so there was no reason to deliver cars to that market with brakes that will stop their 2-ton wagon in under a forghtnight.

I've found that when I really need to stop my Volvo NOW, that aiming for another Volvo gives the quickest and most reliable results.

Best to find an independent Volvo mechanic with a cutting torch and welding equiptment--let him get "creative" with those calipers. Even the most incompetent wrench monkey couldn't possibly make the brakes worse. Clearly, the brakes on the '98 V70R are way undersized for the weight and power of the car. Let us know how many wrong answers you get to this question. It is greatly amusing for the rest of us.

I don't want to be a party pooper, so here's my wrong answer: 280mm vented front; 280mm solid rear.

But I'm positive that I'm wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.