SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, we just got some snow here in North Bay Ontario, For some reason my hood won't open for me. I made sure all the snow/ice was clear from the hood area but it seems to be stuck. When I try to open it only the front right side of the hood is not releasing but the front left will lift. Is this a common issue perhaps in the winter? please let me know. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yup, common issue, and not just winter time. The rubber is worn out. If you have someone else with you, have them hold the hood release open. Then, you grab the front of the hood and lift up. Should open fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, common issue, and not just winter time. The rubber is worn out. If you have someone else with you, have them hold the hood release open. Then, you grab the front of the hood and lift up. Should open fine.
Yup that was the issue! Thanks. Any ideas on how much it is to fix?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let me add to this thread since you are new to vintage XC's and are in a cold climate.

Be sure to clear the snow from the windshield and roof area and especially from the base and well area of the windshield wiper area. I have never seen a car so prone to lack of drainage. Overall, I like the car but as a ski instructor who had to be out in the white stuff, the trickle down and or melt from engine heat would freeze it solid as a rock. Very bad when you have a bit of a warm up that melts it and then freezes after sundown. Those wipers are frozen solid and yes I kept the drains clear and no leaves or pine needles clogging stuff.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This is what rmorse was referring to...check the post by cn90. His explanation is probably the problem you're facing but it doesn't hurt to use a little white lithium grease as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that's definetly it, because after I opened my hood while my girlfriend pulled the hood release it was fine. I closed it, and opened it back up without her having to pull the release. We had freezing rain and a big snowfall here so I guess it must be the case

·
Registered
91 Posts
The real problem with your hood is the latch adjustment. The side that doesn't open, usually the passenger side, needs to be moved down just a quarter inch or so. I think what happens, the latch opens but there is no pressure to push the hood up and it recloses on the bracket without moving. I tried replacing the rubber thing and that's not the problem. Try this, put a piece of cardboard or something on the rubber bumper and then try releasing the hood. It will open right up. Move the latch down.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's the DRIVER's side that usually doesn't open.
If you have to adjust your hood latch so far down that the hood doesn't line up, I have found another simple solution.
You need pressure on the underside of the hood.
Buy some large, think furniture leg felt pads at least an inch around
Stick one of two on top of each other on the left side of the rad support, enough to give presssure on the hood.
Pops up every time.
They usually have real sticky bottoms (after you peel it off) and stay there for a long time

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're wrong! The rubber bumper is what dictates the height of the hood. If you put something on it, or under it, the hood will not be the right height. Just adjust the latch down. Maybe a quarter inch is too much. It doesn't take much, just enough to cause the hood to move up when the latch opens, then it will not reclose around the bracket. Why jury rig something when you can just make the proper adjustment and be done with it?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You're wrong! The rubber bumper is what dictates the height of the hood. If you put something on it, or under it, the hood will not be the right height. Just adjust the latch down. Maybe a quarter inch is too much. It doesn't take much, just enough to cause the hood to move up when the latch opens, then it will not reclose around the bracket. Why jury rig something when you can just make the proper adjustment and be done with it?
Me?
Doubt it.
I do it all the time and while it may look a bit odd when you open it up, it works and is a great temp. fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
The real problem with your hood is the latch adjustment. The side that doesn't open, usually the passenger side, needs to be moved down just a quarter inch or so.
My problem was the driver's side. I tried the popular solution of adding to the rubber stop and it worked until the weather turned cool. Then it stopped opening again.

So I took a closer look at the latch. Nearly closing it and peeking through the gap I found the latch wasn't perfectly aligned with the loop on the hood on the driver's side. It was close enough to close and latch, but it was not perfectly centered. Adjusting it laterally slightly aligned it perfectly and from then on it's always opened smoothly.

I am definitely in the "align it first" camp as it's extremely easy to do. However, I did not have to move it down at all, just to the side a very small amount.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Glad I happened upon this thread. Now that the weather has turned cold, I have the same problem, only on the driver's side. I've had the latch adjusted several times over the years, but I'm going to try my own hand at this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thank you in advance and tips, advice, suggestions are appreciated.

So I go to pull the hood release and the hood unlatches on both side. I am able to open the hood most of the time or especially if someone else is there to lift the hood. The rubber stoppers appear to be in good shape, but the hood still doesn't pop up automatically when I pull on the hood release. Is this because I need to replace the hood springs? I also noticed the hood doesn't stay open all the way at 100% range. It stays open at 90% range. Is this an indication that the spring are overstretched, worn, and have lost tension over time?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I solved my drivers side hood latch by adding padding to the top of the radiator where the rubber mounts land. I used three layers of double sided tape, leaving the backing on the top layer so it is not sticky where the hood pads hit it. It went from inoperable to works every time. Probably cost $1 and took about 8 minutes, 4 of which were spent looking for scissors to cut the tape.

I also adjusted the latches all the way down on both sides. My hood is flush with the quarter panels as it should be and no longer moves up and down as I drive. When I pull the hood release it pops right up.

JRL is absolutely right in his post. I would have used the furniture pads like he recommends, but I was being cheap and lazy. When I get a chance it is exactly what I will do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I need to have mine adjusted as well; the driver's side is getting stuck; so if I am alone, I pull and gently release the handle so it remains in a pulled position, I pull the hood till I feel the passenger side is clear, then I go back pull on the handle again and the driver's side releases as well. I know, I have to make two trips, but if there's no one around....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I was doing maintenance on the car and began cleaning the latches and adjusting them. I tried adjusting the latch up on the driver side to make the hood flush with the fender, but then the latch always got stuck on that side. I placed the latch back in a lower position, but the hood is not flushed with the fender. I think I'll do the JRL fix tonight (add some pads to the radiator cowl) and re-adjust the latch to make the hood flush to see if I can get the hood to pop up again.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's not the prettiest fix but it usually works.
Please try to lube and adjust the latch first and if that doesn't work then apply some pads as the hood needs just a little pressure to pop up that left side.
Sometimes that little tap down adjustment on the latches does the trick.
Sometimes even a new latch doesn't help because the line has stretched out over the years ... installing a new line is a royal PIA!

The Volvo techs that have been around for a while know how to open these up, they shove a pen over the latch. That applies that little bit of pressure and allow the hood to open.
I don't seem to have a good feel for doing that so I pull the latch, go out and pull up the hood as far as it will go and release GENTLY that it doesn't go back down at all, then I pull the latch again and try to not let the handle go all the way back. THIS I have the feel for.
9 out of 10 times it clicks open and stays open enough that I can go back outside, pull it up and it stays up so I can release the safety catch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts