SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I'm new to the forums, so, i appologize in advance if this question was answered already, but i searched for it and found nothing related.

My S80 has an HU-801 and everything works fine except the hidden menus! I got the .pdf with the combinations for the different menus and i tried most of them but none of them shows up.

What could be the problem here? Are they blocked/deactived for some reason? Or is there anything that i am missing? (as an example, radio is turned off, i press the volume button and hold it down for 5-10-15 seconds and nothings happens, i'm doing it right, right?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I take it you're using documentation for the 803?

There are a few menus on the 801, but no EQ or anything on the 801.
Are you 100% sure? I'm asking because i know people with the hu-801 and they can acess those menus (not sure about the EQ, but i'll try to know). And in this site, they refer it works on all hu-80X series.

I just want to be sure about it, i don't see much more information regarding to this.

Anyway, you said there are a few menus on the 801, which ones are those and how can i acess them? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Are you 100% sure? I'm asking because i know people with the hu-801 and they can acess those menus (not sure about the EQ, but i'll try to know). And in this site, they refer it works on all hu-80X series.

I just want to be sure about it, i don't see much more information regarding to this.

Anyway, you said there are a few menus on the 801, which ones are those and how can i acess them? Thanks for the help.
I had an 801 and 601. 801 had a few things such as screen test, which antenna was being used, and so on. Hold a button on the unit while turning it on, the same as the instruction you linked to. Each button accesses something different if its linked to anything at all. Been a while, since I had one. Theyre pretty junky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an 801 and 601. 801 had a few things such as screen test, which antenna was being used, and so on. Hold a button on the unit while turning it on, the same as the instruction you linked to. Each button accesses something different if its linked to anything at all. Been a while, since I had one. Theyre pretty junky.
I always read that the 801 has the hidden menus, i was expecting that. :(

Anyway, which button should i hold while turning it on? I already tried them all but nothing shows up, that's why i thought it was "broken" in the first place.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Could possibly not have any menu options at all then.

IIRC, I tried every single button on the unit, but found nothing of real interest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, i see. I couldn't figure out any more information about the 801.

Now i'm really curious about the difference of the sound quality of 801 vs 803/850, since others got the EQ, i would like to know if it makes the sound very different from what it is.

I like it a lot as what it is, it gives an bass with high volume incredible, but still if i could get some more "chrytal" sound, that would be great.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hmm, i see. I couldn't figure out any more information about the 801.

Now i'm really curious about the difference of the sound quality of 801 vs 803/850, since others got the EQ, i would like to know if it makes the sound very different from what it is.

I like it a lot as what it is, it gives an bass with high volume incredible, but still if i could get some more "chrytal" sound, that would be great.
Said it before, and I'll say it again: Get an aftermarket unit with time alignment and auto EQ.

The factory setup has way to much mid bass, and without any EQ at all, the speakers sound just horrid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Said it before, and I'll say it again: Get an aftermarket unit with time alignment and auto EQ.

The factory setup has way to much mid bass, and without any EQ at all, the speakers sound just horrid.
I see. But i would like to stick with the Volvo one, maybe i can switch with an 803 or something, although it probably needs to be reprogrammed. Well, i'll need to think about that.

Thanks for all your help. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
matt, check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-0UWJvx_s

Since it was recorded with a smartphone or something (and it's on youtube), it already lost quality, but still, don't you think it sounds great?

It's the hu-801... The only difference i can spot to mine, it's the letter colors. Mine are green, this one are orange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to update a little bit (nothing different from what matt5112 told me), i tried an S60 with hu-803 unit in it and right away i played with the equalizer and other options. Now i'm sure hu-801 doesn't have it and the ones it has are different from the ones on the 803.

Maybe someday i'll change mine with a 803 if i check that everything is compatible. Mistery solved, i guess. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts