SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I’m trying to track down this shake that’s getting progressively worse the past few months. I just did pcv, timing, coolant system (heater core, sensors), alignment, wheel balance, MAF, fuel pump, alll engine mounts, distributor cap/rotor, OEM sparkplugs, new brakes, all very recently (last 10k miles) and the car still shakes.

At 30-40 in 3rd or 4th gear, when under light acceleration or coasting it’ll feel like the car is jerking, if you put your foot on the gas maybe 30% or so the car will jerk much harder a few times then keep going. In 5th at these speeds it is smooth and will not jerk as much if at all. Itll pull WOT with no issue though, until it gets to about 60 in 5th and the wheel, dash, and seats start shaking. I’ve gotten it up to about 80 or more and it doesn’t seem to get any worse at higher speeds.

I did replace one control arm that was buggered and now it’s out of alignment, but the shake hasn’t changed. I’m changing the other tomorrow and aligning it at a shop again but I don’t think it’ll do much, as after the first carm symptoms didn’t change whatsoever.
Cv axles replaced last year. tried unplugging the new Bremi MAF to see any change and just got a MAF code, cleared and still the same shake.
Sometimes in 3rd, 4th, and 5th I will notice a little hiccup but no CELs come on. Never flashes at me.

It was 37F the other day and until the car heated up, when over 50% throttle the cel would come on, stopped once warm and no codes stored. Wasn't struggling. It had an SAI code until I deleted it with the help of Aaron at va5t, gave me a "too rich" code after that, found the SAS check valve hose was not connected to the TB, reconnected and no more code.

I’ve read everything from crank sensor to CV axle, if anyone can help pin this down with symptoms provided, much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Maybe throttle position sensor....?

·
Registered
15,900 Posts
could troubleshoot that by unplugging the TPS

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea, unplugged and still no change.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When’s the last time you replaced the clutch? Symptoms seem clutch-related to me.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When’s the last time you replaced the clutch? Symptoms seem clutch-related to me.
Bought it last year, never replaced clutch.
I replaced control arm today and while it wasn’t as bad as the driver side, it was still gone and boot torn. Now the shake seems so small it has to be the alignment.

However, it still does that jerk when you go from 0-25% throttle quickly in 4th at 30-40. In 3rd or 5th it’s not as noticeable, but still there.
Also needs to be double clutched into 1st when downshifting usually, and it won’t go into first at all unless you’re going under 5 mph...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bought it last year, never replaced clutch.
I replaced control arm today and while it wasn’t as bad as the driver side, it was still gone and boot torn. Now the shake seems so small it has to be the alignment.

However, it still does that jerk when you go from 0-25% throttle quickly in 4th at 30-40. In 3rd or 5th it’s not as noticeable, but still there.
Also needs to be double clutched into 1st when downshifting usually, and it won’t go into first at all unless you’re going under 5 mph...

Right side axle.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey all, I’m trying to track down this shake that’s getting progressively worse the past few months. I just did pcv, timing, coolant system (heater core, sensors), alignment, wheel balance, MAF, fuel pump, alll engine mounts, distributor cap/rotor, OEM sparkplugs, new brakes, all very recently (last 10k miles) and the car still shakes.

At 30-40 in 3rd or 4th gear, when under light acceleration or coasting it’ll feel like the car is jerking, if you put your foot on the gas maybe 30% or so the car will jerk much harder a few times then keep going. In 5th at these speeds it is smooth and will not jerk as much if at all. Itll pull WOT with no issue though, until it gets to about 60 in 5th and the wheel, dash, and seats start shaking. I’ve gotten it up to about 80 or more and it doesn’t seem to get any worse at higher speeds.

I did replace one control arm that was buggered and now it’s out of alignment, but the shake hasn’t changed. I’m changing the other tomorrow and aligning it at a shop again but I don’t think it’ll do much, as after the first carm symptoms didn’t change whatsoever.
Cv axles replaced last year. tried unplugging the new Bremi MAF to see any change and just got a MAF code, cleared and still the same shake.
Sometimes in 3rd, 4th, and 5th I will notice a little hiccup but no CELs come on. Never flashes at me.

It was 37F the other day and until the car heated up, when over 50% throttle the cel would come on, stopped once warm and no codes stored. Wasn't struggling. It had an SAI code until I deleted it with the help of Aaron at va5t, gave me a "too rich" code after that, found the SAS check valve hose was not connected to the TB, reconnected and no more code.

I’ve read everything from crank sensor to CV axle, if anyone can help pin this down with symptoms provided, much appreciated

Am also experiencing the same problem on my 98 S70,changed fuel pump but maybe only 30% improvement,am now thinking of changing ht cables & spark plugs!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am also experiencing the same problem on my 98 S70,changed fuel pump but maybe only 30% improvement,am now thinking of changing ht cables & spark plugs!

I just did fuel pump with dw300c and no improvement. I’m doing the clutch relatively soon and having the axles inspected while it’s in for that. Just did a 6 hour trip and while it was tolerable, I wouldn’t want to go on a week long road trip with it.

·
Registered
15,900 Posts
Check your fuel pressure and make sure you're not overdriving the regulator. I don't have this issue with my DW300 in my 850R but my understanding is it can happen.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check your fuel pressure and make sure you're not overdriving the regulator. I don't have this issue with my DW300 in my 850R but my understanding is it can happen.
Hmm, have noticed that when clutch is in and you rev, it will sporadically give a CEL but doesn’t flash. Doesn’t store codes... Thought it was a vacuum leak but I’ll take a look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts