SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For $2k you get a hail damaged 1998 S70 T5 with 198,000 miles, bad axles, control arms, sway bar links, serpentine belt, PCV, tires, rear passenger door that won't open at all, front passenger door that won't open from the inside, rear drivers door that won't unlock, radio "coded", head liner a little saggy, SRS, ABS, TRACT, SERVICE lights and that's just the known stuff.

Interior isn't abused though, no rust, and the seats are in great shape. The motor pulls strong and the brakes are fine. Good starting point for my sons first car.

We spent Thursday two bucket washing the exterior, replacing the axles (FEQ from Worldpac), control arms (Dorman) and sway bar links, Road Force balancing the front tires and cleaning the interior. He spent Friday sleeping.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Sounds like the one I have sitting here
Black\Taupe except probably not as much mechanical work needed but more interior work plus the way it is now, I may be winding up painting the entire car.
Too many panels have boo boos!
It all depends on whenever I have enough time to start on it and do a compression test, that will determine what I have for an engine
Needs a clutch, tranny seems good

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here she is in her natural environment:

Add to the list a power steering pump (probably). Figured out the oil leak, it's blowing right out the dip tube. PCV right?

As for stereo I'm thinking Hybrid Audio Technologies L3SE's in the dash with L6SE Carbons' in the door. Not sure about amps yet, depends on the HU because I want to do an active set up. For HU either the new Sony 601 or the new Pioneer 80PRS. For subs, I'm thinking a couple 8" IB's in the hat shelf or a PWK box.

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
body looks solid in the picts - looking forward to seeing how she turns out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
A father "and son" project... cool!

Happy Fathers Day

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Where's all the hail damage?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where's all the hail damage?
That's the thing, it really isn't noticeable unless you're right up on it. A Lexus GS300 that was right next to it looks like a golf ball. Combination of good Swedish sheet metal and no clear coat paint, I reckon.

I de-badged it and had our detailer buff out the tattoo. Are the side badges just dbl sided sticky too?

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Clearcoat has nothing to do with it.
That low mileage V70R I just sold had 57 roof dents :eek: and the guy swears it was acorns, not hail!
Got 56 of them out! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Are the side badges just dbl sided sticky too?
Yes, but there's a hole under them for the turn signal wiring. It's a very popular upgrade to put the side marker lights in from the later cars.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got it to the dealer where they cleared the SRS light (drivers seat belt tensioner), hasn't come back so I hope we're good to go on that. ABS light is right rear sensor but the mechanic says they always say that and it's always the ABS module. Code for the radio worked and boy does that thing sound like ass.

My son and I removed all of the door cards and he separated the two parts and then removed all of the lighter colored vinyl. We're going to replace the lighter vinyl with a darker gray/brown matching the steering wheel center. We're also going to modify the speaker grill area but not sure which speakers yet. Thinking about some Morel Elate 6 LE's. Ordered a pioneer DEH-80PRS, single DIN pocket and an ISO mount. Thinking about using a Mosconi amp for the front stage. Still not sure about the sub. Popped the rear hat shelf off and yes, there are 8's back there but no sub I want to use will go in that small hole.

We changed the power steering pump (reman), serpentine belt (Gates), and PCV valve (factory) this week. Also discovered the right side motor mount was trashed, replaced it (had a choice between Lemforder and Febi Bilstein, went with the Bilstein). Discovered the passenger door interior handle and cable are broken, and rear passenger door actuator is broken.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Kicker 8" free air subs (if they're still available)
You need to do a little modifications but the install turned out well
I installed those in my 99 S70 and sounded awesome

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New handle and cable from the dealership. Used actuator and central vent from Volvo and Saab Dismantlers. New dipstick tube gasket and now no oil leaks, yeh! Check Engine light just popped on, boo!

Ordered Hybrid Audio Technologies L6SE Carbon's for the door and L3SE's for the dash. Going to use a Rainbow Vanadium 12" in a PWK Designs box for the sub. Thinking about using 3 Pioneer PRS-D800 amps with a ZED RA sub control or the Genesis Profile 5 with a sub knob. Also thinking about doing the door inserts in Kevlar, I think the dull yellow would look good and a twill weave will do those deep contours easier than vinyl.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mechanic borrowed the T5 to go get a part and it came back with oil all over the intake and the dipstick tube blowing bubbles! Assuming I replaced the PCV correctly (may be a stretch), what should I be looking for as a cause?

Decided on using a Zed Audio Minotaur sub-amp with the Zed Ra for the Vanadium so I think the system is all set. Now fabrication and cable routing can begin.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Did you clean out the PTC when you did the PCV system? Sometimes that gets clogged up and then it doesn't matter if you did the breather box. Also, when you replaced the parts did you clean out the ports to the engine block which also have a tendency to be clogged with gunk?

Other than that, maybe replace the o-rings on the dipstick tube (should be 2 if you have the new style) and do an oil cap seal for good measure.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Did clean the ports on the block, did replace the oil cap gasket and dipstick tube gaskets. Did not clean the PTC. Thanks for the info, I think I saw that on the Matthews vid.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
De-greased the area around the PTC. Thought about just replacing it but it comes as the whole tube. I'll try getting it off tomorrow. Started re-covering the door card inserts. What a pain. Got the two rears done and half way through the drivers. Pictures tomorrow. Installed the used stuff from V&SD. It's so nice to not have a broken center vent staring at you.

Christmas in July. Some of the stereo stuff is starting to arrive. Test fitted the L6SE Carbons and they fit perfectly in the existing bracket. Going to do a custom baffle to stiffen up the bracket and push the driver a little closer to the door card. Ordered the PWK Design box design for the sub-woofer. Can't wait to see what Pete comes up with.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some shots of the recovered inserts:

This is a new 4 way stretch vinyl that I had hoped would make those deep contours. It's only available in black but has a nice heavy texture and matches up to the existing texture well. My rationalization was that the new S60 has a black and tan-ish interior. Not at all happy with the results. The vinyl still pulled away from the deep contour. I though by skipping the padding I could get the stuff to stick better but you can see a large gap where the two pieces are joined and the vinyl still pulled away a little.

On a brighter note I got the L6SE's installed:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Went back and re-read the Matthews post, of course I should have done in the beginning. In taking out the MAF to Turbo intake I broke the PCV to PTC tube. So I ordered a new intake/PTC assembly AND the tube assembly which meant I got to take the intake manifold off again. 1) Made it easier to replace the ABS module, 2) found a vacuum hose re-attachment mistake from the first re-assemble, 3) yes, I used another new intake gasket, thanks for asking, 3) the dash no longer looks like a Christmas tree!!

I stopped by our interiors sub-contractor for a quick lesson on contact glue and vinyl. Went back and ripped off everything I had done on the door cards and bought some new vinyl and a new spray gun. He recommends the Husky siphon feed from HD and Weldwood HHR landau top spray grade contact cement. Three light coats with plenty of drying time between. So this is my 12'th attempt:

Not bad, everything stuck down well and just a few wrinkles which at my age I consider character lines. Going to wrap the factory speaker grills in grill cloth.

Next comes installing the dash speakers:

and started building the sub-box

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Passed the state safety inspection but failed the emissions for "readiness". Dude actually had the Gaul to ask if I had had the battery disconnected recently. He drove it in and didn't notice the HU wires hanging out all over the center stack? So i went away and the next day I got a CHK ENG. Turned out to be P0442, small evap leak. Everyone said "gas cap" so I cleared the code and got a new cap. So far so good.

Drove my exit's roundabouts athletically and it started up with the power steering groan again. I checked the fluid level and it does look a bit low. Going to have to check for a leak. Hopefully it's just a hose.

Been cruising Discount Tire and The Rack for wheels. What do you guys think of these?

Wrapped some grill cloth around the door speaker grills.

Thinking about raiding the black interior C70's (#1370) that V&S Dismantlers is showing for black interior bits. What years C70's have the jewel lights? looks like there's a MY04 with them but it has only the left side. What years XC70 grills fit? Anybody with a picture of some anthracite Grey Canisto's?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts