SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1998 v70 awd 'r'

I am now the owner of a 1998 Volvo V70 AWD Pewter Silver/Light Taupe with 191k miles on it. This will be an ongoing project with plans to this becoming a daily driver. I purchased the car on Saturday January 21, 2017 for a whopping $250. The car will need a head gasket (milk shake oil), timing belt kit with water pump, PCV breather system, accessory belt, all coolant hoses, plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. Once I have the head removed I will be able to see if the car needs a head rebuild. The car also need some serious interior cleaning and a left front fender. The car came with good records that ended in about 2011. I'll be contacting the shop that did the more recent work and see if they can give me more info on the car. I'm wondering if the PCV and timing belt were actually done. The car has new brakes and shocks, no oil leaks, no rust, and a fairly clean looking motor. I do need to get an electric fan and replace all the vacuum lines.

20170121_142654.jpg
20170121_142705.jpg
20170121_142744.jpg
20170121_142617.jpg
20170121_142845.jpg

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
I would say that's a good deal! The wheels alone are worth what you paid for the car.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
I would highly suggest redoing the head while its off, at 191k the valve stem seals are at the end of their life. I noticed that the steering wheel and trim suggest a base awd model, you may be lucky and not have nivomat shock sin the rear. The difference is easy to identify: nivomats have a rubber bellows around them while standard shocks look like a normal tube design.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion of rebuilding the head.

I'll have to look at the rear shocks when I get home tonight.
This is what the standard shock would look like

and what the nivomat would look like

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice find, have fun with the restoration project. Once it's done ... you'll love it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Used Parts I Need
o Light in drivers door
o cup holder
o windshield washer Sprayer 99 or newer
o headlight wiper arms
o taillights
o plastic undertray
o alarm horn
o electric fan
o grill
o drivers doors Seal
o roof trim

New Parts I Need
o head gasket
o PCV
o timing belt
o Spark plugs
o wires
o Cap and rotor
o air filter
o fuel filter
o rebuild head?
o radiator hoses
o accessory belt
o heater hoses
o overflow tank and hoses
o turbo coolant hoses
o thermostat
o oil filter
o intercooler hoses
o motor oil
o coolant
o tranny fluid
o gear oil

-Should I go with silicone intercooler hoses?

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
My recommendations would be Volvo blue box parts for the head gasket, pcv, spark plugs. Do88 silicone for the radiator, turbo, heater hoses (replace the heater junction block they fail), behr heater core, wahler thermostat, mann/mahle filters, Castrol 0w40 synthetic (available at Walmart!) oil, any dextron 3+ ATF, skip the silicone intercooler hoses. Contitech for the t belt and serpentine (accessory), Bosch for the cap and rotor, bougicord for the wires.

The rest of the interior parts are best found on the forum/junkyard. I realistically have everything you need but shipping would make it a deal breaker.

Suggestion:

Remove the angle gear and replace the collar sleeve/coupler as preventative maintenance and good insurance against a failure destroying the angle gear splines.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. I was looking back through the records and the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor were replaced in 2011 and only 30k has been put on since then. I'll replace the plugs obviously because of the head gasket but I may hold off on the wires and inspect the cap and rotor.

I talked to the guy who worked on the car during the time of missing records between 2011 and today. He said he replaced the oil pan because she put a hole in it (lives on a gravel road). He said the timing belt needed replaced and there was noise coming from the tensioner pulley but he didn't do the work. I'm assuming it is really bad but I'll know once I get into this.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I have a couple of near new front grills, PM me if you want one
NEVER buy a used door seal :facepalm: unless they have stopped making them. By now, even if it's in one piece, it's fairly well dry rotted!

Your interior is called Oak/Arena not "Light Taupe"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only reason I'm even replacing the drivers door seal is because there is a chunk missing. This will be my budget dd so spending money on a new door seal is out of the question. Putting my funds into getting it running is more important to me.

I'll let you know on the grills.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are my other projects:
http://chrischillino.com/

It is a Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE. It sat for 6 years when I picked it up for free. 6 years and about $14k I have a rare car that looks great, drives great, and goes up in value every year.

My old reliable 1970 Ford F250 that I've had for over 20 years. Wife wants me to sell this to fund the Volvo.

My baby: 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390tbird, auto, A/C, P/B, P/S. Once the Volvo is done, I will start back on this car with a restoration.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just went to the pull and pay and picked up some parts.

o cup holder
o headlight wiper arms
o alarm horn
o electric fan
o grill (its an aftermarket mesh grill that I will paint black)
o drivers doors Seal
o floor mats

And a bunch of other miscellaneous parts.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts