SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1997 volvo 850 T5 engine bearings gone, cost of new engine? or just sell it?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  7 VII 7 
#1 ·
any one have any idea what an engine for my car might run? really like this car, better than my wives S80 T6. would like to keep it if the cost is right, otherwise i will be looking to sell it. Any suggestions on where to look for this engine? If the decision is to sell, which i hope not, just put over 1,000.00 in repairs, how do i determine a fair price for the whole car? any input will really help.

#2 ·
Re: 1997 volvo 850 T5 engine bearings gone, cost of new engine? or just sell it? (mmboliva)

Bad engine? Worth about nothing.

WHY are the bearings "gone"?
Properly serviced these engine are good for at least 300K miles

#3 ·
Re: 1997 volvo 850 T5 engine bearings gone, cost of new engine? or just sell it? (JRL)

good question, properly serviced, was dripping oil, nothing large, but i guess it was large enough. for a parts car i would think it has some value. do you know what an engine might go for? its a shame, i really liked the car. People would make faces at me that i owned a volvo, until i took them for a ride. Mt wife has an S80 T6, i prefer my 850 T5. appreciate the response.

#4 ·
Re: 1997 volvo 850 T5 engine bearings gone, cost of new engine? or just sell it? (mmboliva)

400 to $700

#5 ·
Check with Eriie VoVo out past Albany. I believe the warrranty for life, as well as having good stuff, Volvo only. AFAIK, once you have a big obvious repair, you are going to "pay" the cost to fix, either by fixing it, or by reducing the price enough for the next guy to fix it. On that basis, since you like the car, might just as well go ahead and fix it yourself. If you have a good Indie mechanic, I'd guess that you will spend around $2-2.5k by the time it is all done, and less than $1k if you can DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.