1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm having a friend test drive it on Monday. Will report.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I'm having a friend test drive it on Monday. Will report.
Did your friend go drive this car? Looks like it's currently the nicest 850R for sale other than the green wagon which would require jumping through a lot of hoops since it's a JDM car in Canada.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to ask same question this morning. I keep looking at the pictures and dreaming, but I don't have space for a 4th car and question having issues with it passing CA Smog. I don't know if cars of this era had all CA smog equipment to be legit. Stupid CA....

·
Registered
921 Posts
I was going to ask same question this morning. I keep looking at the pictures and dreaming, but I don't have space for a 4th car and question having issues with it passing CA Smog. I don't know if cars of this era had all CA smog equipment to be legit. Stupid CA....
If it's running properly with no check engine light it should pass CA smog just fine. There was no difference between CA and 49-state models for the 850R in 1997 - none of the 1997 R models should have EGR (but non-R models may). In 1996, most don't have EGR but some do. In 1995, for the T5-R, they all have EGR. EGR may be required in CA on those models, I don't know. The Supplemental Air System (SAS), another emissions reduction system, wasn't introduced until 1998, so you don't have to worry about that.

Especially with this car, you shouldn't have an issue as it appears totally unchanged from stock. CA smog would flag it if someone had removed the catalytic converter (which is enormous on the stock 850 turbo exhaust) or if it was missing an O2 sensor, or had a Check Engine Light on, or , in the case of 1996+ cars, it didn't have all the sensors at "ready state" or whatever when they run the OBD-II codes. Assuming this car has no CEL on, the worst you could be in for would be a catalytic converter replacement if it fails smog testing..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's running properly with no check engine light it should pass CA smog just fine. There was no difference between CA and 49-state models for the 850R in 1997 - none of the 1997 R models should have EGR (but non-R models may). In 1996, most don't have EGR but some do. In 1995, for the T5-R, they all have EGR. EGR may be required in CA on those models, I don't know. The Supplemental Air System (SAS), another emissions reduction system, wasn't introduced until 1998, so you don't have to worry about that.

Especially with this car, you shouldn't have an issue as it appears totally unchanged from stock. CA smog would flag it if someone had removed the catalytic converter (which is enormous on the stock 850 turbo exhaust) or if it was missing an O2 sensor, or had a Check Engine Light on, or , in the case of 1996+ cars, it didn't have all the sensors at "ready state" or whatever when they run the OBD-II codes. Assuming this car has no CEL on, the worst you could be in for would be a catalytic converter replacement if it fails smog testing..
According to www.dmv.ca.gov, if it doesn't have the "50-State/California Certified" sticker under the hood, it will fail visual smog inspection in CA. I've read sites that mention cars often being no different equipment wise between 49-State and 50-State certified, so it seems to be a technicality. So unless you have actual personal experience buying a car outside of CA and registering it in CA for the first time, it seems like you are mistaken. I wish you were right, but reading their fine print online makes me think it will be a headache. There are exceptions such as if you first registered the car in another state (such as moving to CA), but it seems the laws are designed to prohibit people in CA from buying and importing cars from the other 49 states. California...

·
Registered
921 Posts
That only applies to cars with under 7500 miles, considered "new" vehicles, and ONLY if it's a separate non-CA-conforming ("49 state") vehicle, which no major manufacturers make anymore. see: here and here. Volvo hasn't made separate CA/49 state models since the 1980s -- all models are "50 state vehicles"

Edit: and yes I've sold several cars to california buyers and they haven't had any problems getting them registered.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes. You could always just call the dealership and ask them to check if you're really concerned about this.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if it has the sticker or not. The car has over 7500 miles so it is OK to import it to California even if it doesn't have the sticker. The sticker rule only applies for "new" cars, 7500 miles or fewer.

Smog testing (checking the actual emissions of the car, not the sticker) applies to ALL cars 1976 or newer (1998 or newer for diesels), regardless of what sticker it has or what the mileage it is. So you will still have to get it tested, but they will be testing what the actual emissions are.

So, if it's running properly with no check engine light it should pass CA smog just fine. It could always fail smog, but if it does, it will be a mechanical problem with the vehicle, not the year or type of vehicle or what sticker it has or the mileage.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Looking at the pictures again those rotors look new, no surface rust or corrosion at all. And I love how it still has the original exhaust with square tip. Square cars should never have a round exhaust tip. Bridgestone tires are nice and look like they have plenty of tread.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking at the pictures again those rotors look new, no surface rust or corrosion at all. And I love how it still has the original exhaust with square tip. Square cars should never have a round exhaust tip. Bridgestone tires are nice and look like they have plenty of tread.
Yes the rotors in from do look new and the seats look to be in incredible condition. The engine bay is very clean. And I would agree this car is bone stock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You will not have any problem smogging, registering an older car in California as long as the emissions equipment is intact. I bought my Gul Yellow T5R from Arizona drove it back to California smogged it, registered it with out problems. There are NO stickers on these cars. Volvo did not make a California specific model since early 80s as another member posted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, my friend test drove it and really liked it. No issues whatsoever (mechanical or cosmetic). I offered 8500 and they accepted. I am currently stationed in Chile and because of the earthquake I wasn't able to complete the transaction so someone from San Diego bought it (seems CA emissions wasn't problem). I guess it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bummer, but hopefully it went to a good home.

Oh and I was looking at a 2000 V70R for sale outside of CA and they had a picture of the emissions sticker. It specially calls out being compliment with California Emissions standards. So it seems they just sold the CA spec car all over the whole USA. So same smog equipment and yes should not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Bummer, but hopefully it went to a good home.

Oh and I was looking at a 2000 V70R for sale outside of CA and they had a picture of the emissions sticker. It specially calls out being compliment with California Emissions standards. So it seems they just sold the CA spec car all over the whole USA. So same smog equipment and yes should not be an issue.

2000 is a funny smog year especially in Californian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts