SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1996 960, just bought, has some issues need help!

2K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
Thanks for reading.. bear with me.. I bought a 96 960, seems to be a nice car, easy to work on, already fixed a few minor things.. but I do have these issues..

The Trans Mode Switch blinks like crazy, the red flashing arrow on the inst. panel. I can get it to go away temporarily by turning the key back and forth tween off and position II repeatedly.

No flashing arrow, no flashing buttons- until I drive for about 1 minute, then it comes back.

I ordered a new ride mode switch, but I fear that it is not that, that is causing problems.
I know that the flashing arrow means tranny fault, and that sounds very scary.

The previous owner told me the history as this, his kid was driving the motor dry and it seized, and he replaced the motor with another motor and matched transmission, said that it was good, it was garaged for 4-5 months and then I bought it. 800 bucks, it ran but I knew it had issues.

Aside from that when I shift from Park into Drive it jumps or shudders.

There is the original transmission in his garage... do you think it might be the PNP switch on the side of the Tranny or the Transmission itself?

It also has the one seat rail stuck issue, and a lens or busted.

Other than that I like the car. lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Swedespeed, Noah.

Here is some 960 info...

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/960-90Info1.html#960-90 Series Information

First step would be to replace the keyway part of the ignition switch.

Then hook up a OBD reader to the port between the front seats and dump the codes (most auto parts places will do this for free).

Post any codes here and we will go from that.

Thanks.

George Dill

#5 ·
okay I pulled the codes off of the OBD1

I got these, I cant figure out what some of them are.

212 (O2sensor)
111 (no fault)

311 (VSS signal)

any help?
The replacement engine/trans in your '96 960 is from MY 1995 or older.

All USA 960s have the OBDII port in the center console.

Scroll on this (and imbedded links)...

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

...for OBD info then please return with a description of your maintenance/repair efforts so we can offer more ideas/possibilities.

Thanks.

George Dill

#6 ·
according to that page, I have 212 = o2 snesor fault
122 = signal missing from air temperature sensor
142 Control Module Fault (EZK ignition control module faulty?)
311 Signal missing from Speeo ( the gauge seems to work fine on cluster though? )
114- I am pretty sure I got this right, but I dont see a code for 114??

#14 ·
okay so I replaced the WSE switch and it did not fix the problem, as I had hoped it would. According to the wiring diagram I am looking at, if I am tracking this back the next obvious place to go would be the actual TCM (Transmission Control Module). I know to replace it is a 400 dollar part. Im thinking I can maybe pull one off of one at a yard for much less if I can find one that is not also fouled. My other option is to skip that and move onto the PNP switch on the side of the Tranny.. any tips or suggestions?

#15 ·
Any electrical component sourced as "used" may not fix problems - only cause more.

BTAIM, any electrical part you install on your '96 960 with a '95 motor/trans that operates in conjunction with the car's engine/trans electronics should be applicable to the '95 system. This is why you may wish to avoid using parts from the original '96 trans which sits in the garage of the previous owner.

Looking here...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

...at 73 google hits from the Brickboard we see your car's problems mentioned frequently. Alas, it will require somebody much younger and more enthusiastic than gdill2 if the answers are to be squeezed from the google results.

George Dill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.