SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
i will be here this weekend of the 20th, how far are you. i will be able to check it out on sunday. do you have any other pictures? VIN, ect

<br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=stokes+state+forest&fb=1&gl=us&hq=stokes+state+forest&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=41.176022,-74.799568&spn=0.020784,0.006295&t=h&iwloc=lyrftr:unknown,943151100333509448,,&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
FYI, I saw this car last night.

Underside was soaked, most likely from the broken line as advertised, but it was impossible to see if anything else was leaking.

Transmission shifted smoothly and seemed to be in good order.

Instrument cluster had blue faces and odometer read 89k.

ABS/Tracs light on.

Coolant was bubbling and overflowed at operating temperature.

Body was in good shape, minor scratches, but overall in good shape, especially for age.

Interior was in excellent shape, no rips.

Heater core seemed to be ok, no sweet smell or steam with heat on.

Exhaust in rough shape as advertised.

Overall, the car felt smooth and was in fairly good shape, but the coolant worried me enough not to bite.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

Underside was soaked, most likely from the broken line as advertised, but it was impossible to see if anything else was leaking.

ABS/Tracs light on.

Body was in good shape, minor scratches, but overall in good shape, especially for age.

Overall, the car felt smooth and was in fairly good shape, but the coolant worried me enough not to bite.
Yeah I was with Pat, there was also no heat shield on the turbo, but besides that the suspension was pretty tight. Didn't like the bubbles in the coolant though.

·
6,436 Posts

ABS/Tracs light on.

smart man - seems to me that the head gasket would need to be replaced when the coolant has air bubbles in it.

See what an indy would quote for a HG replacement, then take it off the owner's asking price. No one will pay him the asking price for that type of a problem.

I'd pay $1,800 for this car with a head-gasket issue and exhaust that needs to be replaced. if someone can negotiate it with the owner it would be a good project

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
smart man - seems to me that the head gasket would need to be replaced when the coolant has air bubbles in it.

See what an indy would quote for a HG replacement, then take it off the owner's asking price. No one will pay him the asking price for that type of a problem.

I'd pay $1,800 for this car with a head-gasket issue and exhaust that needs to be replaced. if someone can negotiate it with the owner it would be a good project
Haha Pat would have never noticed ;)...also looked like more than just the oil cooler lines that were leaking...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bubbles in the coolant without the smell of fuel resembles an air leak. Bubbles in the coolant with the smell of fuel
means a head-gasket problem. That would be the worst case, but to just say the car has a defective head-gasket without
smelling fuel fumes from the bubbles or to not use a hydrocarbon dye kit or sniffer kit to ID the bubbles is a completely
invalid claim. Also, a leaking pressure line at over 70 M.P.H would wet the undercarriage.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Never said it had a bad head. I stated what I saw, bubbling and overflow. Others made their own assumptions. I was more than fair in my assessment.

I also agree that the bottom was wet from the oil leak and stated this. My point is that it made it impossible to see if anything else was leaking.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bubbles in the coolant without the smell of fuel resembles an air leak. Bubbles in the coolant with the smell of fuel
means a head-gasket problem. That would be the worst case, but to just say the car has a defective head-gasket without
smelling fuel fumes from the bubbles or to not use a hydrocarbon dye kit or sniffer kit to ID the bubbles is a completely
invalid claim. Also, a leaking pressure line at over 70 M.P.H would wet the undercarriage.
Not true at all. When the hg went in my car all I had was bubbles. No fuel smell at all. Confirmed with dye kit.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
in a pressurized system, how would air get in? unless it was coming from a source that has more pressure than the system that is was gong into. right? by all means i would like to know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts