SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been troubleshooting my parents 1996 850R low boost problem when I have a chance too. From research on here, matts volvo site and swedespeed there are four components that controls boost. The ECM, MAF, TCV and the wastegate actuator.

So I have very low boost (approximately 2-3psi at full throttle) I tried unplugging the boost control solenoid and there is no difference in boost. After reading further about this problem it was suggested to disconnect the vacuum line to the wastegate actuator and run the car - no difference. I also tried looping the compressor side to the wastegate actuator eliminating the TCV altogether. No difference.

I have changed the turbo with a rebuilt 16T due to excessive oil leakage on the 15G. I have replaced all of the vacuum lines and pressure tested the intercooler and associated incooler pipes/hoses (all checked out fine). The car runs so i'm assuming the ECM is alright. The MAF was replaced a couple months ago simply from failure with a known good one - car runs fine - just no boost. The last component I haven't touched besides pulling the vacuum lines on and off is the TCV. I had asked quite some time ago about how to test it and it was to simply unplug it and if the boost sky rockets when it is unplugged - mine didnt make any difference when plugged in or out.

After reading more, it seems there is no way to reset the ECM. You simply clear the codes and go. Is there something i'm missing? I have triple checked my vacuum lines and had a second set of ears listen for vacuum leaks. I have also sprayed all intercooler hoses and vacuum lines with water and did the propane check - no leaks.

Any help on this issue would be great.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
The MAF was replaced a couple months ago simply from failure with a known good one - car runs fine - just no boost.
euh, was the car you took it from also a turbo? na-engines have different maf's than turbo's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts