SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>We just picked up my 960 donor car this morning. It had been parked for a bit, but after some assistance, it started and ran pretty strong. It has old gas in it and not very much at that. Once it is running, it does a good job getting up to speed, runs smooth and has ample power.<br>The po had rigged up a switch that controlled the fuel pump. He ran two jumper wires from the terminals in the fuse box to a fused switch above the steering column. He instructed us to turn the switch off until the motor started to fire up and then turn the switch on, effectively killing the fuel pump to get it to start without flooding. So, in order to try and get it to start as the factory intended, we discarded the switch and tried to duplicate it by starting without the fuse and then put it in when it started to cough. After this, it will not start at all, now possibly due to fouling the plugs.<br>So, my simple question after a complicated description is, what causes a flooding condition during startup on the B6304? Why did they bypass this with a switch rather than fixing it correctly?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 1995 960 hard start ---- (B6304) Please help. (bullitt210)

Put everything back like when the car ran, get it started then dump the OBD codes.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 1995 960 hard start ---- (gdill2)

Thank you, George.<p>Yeah, I was going to try one more time tonight and then wire it back up. What doesn't make sense is that the power wire to the added switch came from the fuse panel in the first place.... But I'll do it.<p>I guess that leads me to my next question... What it the procedure for checking the codes? I know there is a button under the hood on the A connector....

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 1995 960 hard start ---- (bullitt210)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>bullitt210</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What it the procedure for checking the codes?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Look on the center console near the pax seat belt buckle for a pop-off panel under which is the connection for the OBD reader.<p>Most auto parts stores will dump for free.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 1995 960 hard start ---- (gdill2)

Yeah, I am trying not to drive this anywhere since the tags and inspection have been out for over a year and it has no title. It is just a donor car for my 242, so I was hoping to be able to get codes at home....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts