SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i have a 1995 850 turbo with 210k on it. i recently drove it to florida from connecticut with no problems. when we got to florida it was fine for maybe two weeks then just decided to shut off a stop light one day. it immediatly started back up and was fine for a little while until it shut off while i was drivng. when it runs it runs fine same power it always had. sometimes when it dies it will start right back up other times it will crank and crank and crank.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Look up information about the fuel pump relay, especially if you do NOT have a CEL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no CEL...but i noticed when the car shuts off that it cycles all the fuel out of the rail. i was wondering if the regulator might be bad. shouldnt it hold the pressure in the rail?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes it should. That would tell me that the pump stopped and caused the car to run out of gas. The #1 issue with that is the relay. When the relay cuts the pump off the car will run out of gas. Then the relay will work, then stop, then work, very intermittant.

You can google "Volvo 850 random stalling" and likely come up with the info you need. You can also check out this thread:
http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/how-testing-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-relay-64044/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i tried the paper clip. the car started right up and i could even shut it off and restart it no problem. took it for a drive ran fine, then when i came back i shut it off waited a few minutes and tried to restart it. it started but started surging from 800 to 1500 rpms until it would stall out. waited a bit longer started it again was running perfect no surging or anything then died after about 2 minutes. wait about 5 minutes and it fires right back up with no problems then it will just cut out again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Top three reasons these cars run bad or stall:
1 Vacuum Leak
2 Vacuum Leak
3 Vacuum Leak

Check your intercooler hoses, iac hose, vac lines, vac elbows

Is you car properly tuned up? A clogged air or fuel filter could do this.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can't drive the car with the paperclip in the relay slot. You could have a fuel pump failing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts