SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question experts.... I have a chance to pick up a 93 850 with low miles, here's the problem...... supposidly the gal was backing the car out of the garage when she heard a flapping noise and then the engine quit. Is there any chance that no damage was done to the valves because of the low rpm at the time of the apparent belt failure ? Is there any way to check for valve damage without pulling off the head ? Has anybody gotten lucky in this situation ? I need a response as soon as possible because i was the first one that came to look at the car and she wants to unload it cheap.<br> Thanks for your help,<br> economyjim

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Ask this in the 850 forum and you'll have tons of replies...not many here.<p>I have a question....how does she know it was the timing belt. It could have been the service or serpentine belt that broke. The reason I ask is because she hear flapping and not metal clanging into each other...may not even be the timing belt. If this is the case, you're in a very lucky spot.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: 1993 850 timing belt issue (economyjim)

If the timing belt failed then the valves are toast.<p>However, it could have been the serpentine belt. i don't think you would here a flapping if the timing belt broke.<br>If the serp belt broke that would stop the alternator turing and the engine would go dead.<br>Should be easy to see if you open the hood.<br>

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: 1993 850 timing belt issue (VolvoMax)

If the alternator stoped working the car would run till the battery ran down.<p>Don't EVER disconnect the battery while the engine is running as the output voltage of the Alt. will jump up and fry all the electronics!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: 1993 850 timing belt issue (gdill2)

Well if she wishes to get RID of it then FREE is FREE. But outside dirt cheap a few hundred it is not a wise thing. Factor in the New eng or used eng $ and then see. Figure $1500-2000 for work to make it drivable. The $ to get it, and see if it is worth that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts