SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are second owners since early 2002, and have kept the car meticulously. All front and rear suspension bushings are new. Have installed front, mid and rear anti-sway bars from IPD. Was too slow buying the strut brace.
Am hoping to find some kind soul who is either parting out a car, or acquired a strut brace and has decided against use or some iteration of this that makes one available for a reasonable cost.
Also seeking advice on chasing down some persistent low speed rattles. It is suspension oriented (we think) but seems to go away at speed. Any advice on either of these topics is gratefully appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
We are second owners since early 2002, and have kept the car meticulously. All front and rear suspension bushings are new. Have installed front, mid and rear anti-sway bars from IPD. Was too slow buying the strut brace.
Am hoping to find some kind soul who is either parting out a car, or acquired a strut brace and has decided against use or some iteration of this that makes one available for a reasonable cost.
Also seeking advice on chasing down some persistent low speed rattles. It is suspension oriented (we think) but seems to go away at speed. Any advice on either of these topics is gratefully appreciated.
Thanks!
Hello again, Ed;

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-a-1990-740GL-wagon-has-a-glass-trim-question

The 740 strut brace is indeed a rare piece - do you want the solid brace or one with multiple bars?...

http://www.cravingboost.com/cars/740-strut-brace.jpg

Rattle - check the cat heat shield.

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to George Dill and John2X240 for your advice. I am sorry for the slow reply time.
The links to the performance sites as well as the link to the .jpg of the strut brace are very interesting.
I did have the catalytic converter heat shield checked, and it is not that. It is definitely in the suspension. I am starting to think it is either (somehow) shock tubes rattling, or something in the rear spring assembly.
The shocks are bilstein touring, and are in their fourth year with about 75000 miles on them.
I just finished putting 215/60 R16 on the 16" Volvo factory blade style rims, and I am very very pleased with the results. With all new bushings front and rear, and all three chassis anti sway-bars it is now really tight without being harsh. It holds alignment amazingly well.
The mystery of the rattle will get resolved, it is just a matter of time and money, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts