SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions.

What do you guys think, what is reasonable, what kind of questions do I need to ask, look for. What is good price to bargain to and why.

1990 240 Wagon

69 thousand on odometer
selvage title, struck on right side, damage still visible slightly inside. Person selling says structural integrity not compromised.
Airbags ABS
Metallic paint (teal)
Clean as a whistle interior
Asking 6k

I need something good on snow and bumpy dirt roads, could go cross country once this year and a weekly 150 mile commute.

Thank you I am new to this forum and never considered a Volvo until this car.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions.

What do you guys think, what is reasonable, what kind of questions do I need to ask, look for. What is good price to bargain to and why.

1990 240 Wagon

69 thousand on odometer
selvage title, struck on right side, damage still visible slightly inside. Person selling says structural integrity not compromised.
Airbags ABS
Metallic paint (teal)
Clean as a whistle interior
Asking 6k

I need something good on snow and bumpy dirt roads, could go cross country once this year and a weekly 150 mile commute.

Thank you I am new to this forum and never considered a Volvo until this car.
Welcome to Swedespeed.

6k for a salvage-title '90 240 is about $4,500 too much.

For 6k one finds a nice AWD Subaru ready to ramble cross-country and commute at 25+mpg.

George Dill

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Agreed
if it was fixed PERFECTLY, it's still a 1500-2K car because of the salvage title

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
IIRC, ABS and air bags started with '91s? Good 245s are rare, especially manuals, but 6K is nuts. Run away from this one as I smell something odd here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought so, seems like alot, drove it last week. very nice ride no wonder you guys love these cars. What are the issues with the salvage title?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the car details

This is the car. The person who bought it is a "reputable" private dealer who promised to do something with the relay switch (the amber arrow came on during test drive) fix the windshield, do an alignment, figure out which brake pad was squeeling and replace with ceramic ones, Thats all. The inside and out are immaculate except for a couple of dimples on the rear tail gate and a scratch about an inch in lenght on the hood. What strategy should or could be used to get the price for this beauty into the "fair" and "reasonable" range? Thank you again, can see why you love these cars.:)

http://www.salvageautosauction.com/...-for-Sale/lot-27268791/Albuquerque-New-Mexico

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
So the car was written off due to a $3700 + repair cost for the mess on the left rear corner? To me, that means the car is really worth $3700 or less, plus which 245s with automatics are more common than a manual, so to me the value is on the "less" side. As for the odo reading, 69k miles is suspect unless they can document it as it could have been "adjusted." If you want some other opinions, post this on TurboBricks and see what you get; and be aware that the lads there can be ... umm ... "brutally" honest. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts