SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics can be found here

http://pinterest.com/adesnick/1985-volvo-740-v8/

I am selling my latest project car, our 1985 745.

I am the second owner of this southern California car. It started life as a turbo diesel wagon and the original owner did the initial conversion. I bought it with 240K on the clock and the car has performed flawlessly since.

We are selling it to buy a plug in electric or uber high efficient car and moving our "Yellow" (T5R) into collector toy status.

At our monthly cars and coffee show, a Lamborghini Murcielago owner told me he thought the wagon was the coolest car in the show. I agreed with him though I liked his orange "L".

260K on car, 35K on drivetrain.

Chevy ZZ4 crate motor with stock cam re-installed.
355 HP w/o NOS
T700 R transmission
Original Dana 1031 rear end (without posi - yet)
100 HP NOS plate with 10ib rear mounted bottle
Battery moved to rear of car
New paint in 2009 (BMW gun metal grey)
Black 17" pegs with 45 series Kumho all seasons
Jet coated custom made headers with 2 1/2" dual exhaust system
2010 - new interior upholstery - vinyl and alcantara like suede ala early V70R's
Autometer "Cobalt" a pilar mounted gauges (H2O temp, Oil pressure, volts)
Momo steering wheel
Gloshift digital tach with integrated shift light
B&M Mega shifter (ratcheting) mounted in stock location
Custom made cold air induction draws air in from under front bumper through a pair of K&N cone filters
Customer fabricated aluminum valve covers.
Aeromotive fuel pump and regulator
Holley 750 Double Pumper (no choke)
New Keep Cool radiator (100 degrees outside - water temp never higher than 180)
New GM ignition sensor and coil

Before much of the under hood improvements were made, the car was appraised for insurance at $20K.

Asking 22K OBO.

This car will bring a smile to your face all the way home from the grocery store.

·
Registered
272 Posts
sweet car! looks really clean and well sorted, I'm sure its a blast to drive. I love my lt4/t56 87 760 wagon. Not to be a downer, but I think your asking price is about double what you could realistically get for it. Just some input from a fellow v8 volvo lover (I've owned 3 actually, sold both the ford powered ones) ...Though If the market will support anywhere near that price for one, I'd sell mine in a second.

Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments. I imagine that the price could be high. There is a lower threshold beneath which I'll keep the car as it still puts a big smile on my face. We don't need the money but would love to drive a plug in EV of some sort.

I guess I'm counting on the "there is a butt for every saddle" concept. Someone may like it enough to pay enough to get it. I do believe it's worth it. Just a question of another sharing the belief. If it goes, I'll share the price with you via private email.

13.1 is impressive by the way. Did you add a posi? Which rear end are you using?

I just retired from drag racing in 08 and this car fills the void. I drove a fuel altered in the low 7's so bringing the 745 to the track would be anticlimactic.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I'm torn, I wish good luck to Tony on the sale, but I'll miss parking next to it at Cars and Coffee each month LOL!

This is truly a sweet ride, I've looked it over many times at the show and every detail is perfect!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I imagine that the price could be high. There is a lower threshold beneath which I'll keep the car as it still puts a big smile on my face. We don't need the money but would love to drive a plug in EV of some sort.

I guess I'm counting on the "there is a butt for every saddle" concept. Someone may like it enough to pay enough to get it. I do believe it's worth it. Just a question of another sharing the belief. If it goes, I'll share the price with you via private email.

13.1 is impressive by the way. Did you add a posi? Which rear end are you using?

I just retired from drag racing in 08 and this car fills the void. I drove a fuel altered in the low 7's so bringing the 745 to the track would be anticlimactic.
Yeah you never know who may be interested, or what they would perceive it to be worth. I know I have more into mine than you are asking for yours, but it just seems that the market for the v8 swaps tops out around 10-12k. If/when you do sell it, that would be great if you'd let me know what it went for. I once had a guy at the track offer me his low mileage mint condition black 02 Camaro SS with t56 as a straight up trade for my car around 07 or 08, but I couldn't do it. Sometimes I wish I had, but the then again the volvo has so much more personality and utility than a camaro.

I was using the stock rear end with a powerlok? locker for that run. Never really got a great launch though, and after about 5 passes I bent the rear subframe, and haven't ever been back, was really hoping to lay down a 12 second pass. Ended up blowing that one up now I have a stock 1031 which has held up fine since I dont drag race it anymore. I can imagine that a 12-13 second car feels real slow at the track after driving a 7 second car. I temporarily owned a 540whp supercharged 740, and decided as much fun as it was driving around, I was going to end up in jail or dead if I kept it, so a friend bought it, then after 6 months decided the same thing, and sold it(for $10k)

Electric vheicles are intriguing to me as well, one of my friends actually started working for tesla as a production engineer for the S model a few months ago, I definitely wouldn't mind driving one of those around:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I temporarily owned a 540whp supercharged 740, and decided as much fun as it was driving around, I was going to end up in jail or dead if I kept it, so a friend bought it, then after 6 months decided the same thing, and sold it(for $10k)
Was that the black one built for one lap of america? I had a huge hard on for that one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Was that the black one built for one lap of america? I had a huge hard on for that one.
thats the one :) Car was beast, and so well sorted.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
When you get into this galaxy I know someone who may be interested

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When you get into this galaxy I know someone who may be interested
Shoot, if he gets into this galaxy I am interested!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've gathered from a few that the price is out of the galaxy. I'm as astute observer no? As I've said before, this is what I need to let it go. It's not that I think it's worth it though to someone I imagine it will be.....witness the 69 camaro Z28's that are selling in six figures at auction.

One person made an offer of $7,500 pending further evaluation. He gave as an example a black (960?) wagon that had thousands of hits on an ebay auction. In the pics he sent you can see a fist size dent in the hood and I saw that car years ago. It was rough to say the least.

Though the paint is a few years old, it's still a show quality paint job done by amazing builders and painters in Hector MN.

http://www.macikspaintinplace.com/Home.html

Click through projects and gallery.

I'm not saying that as a result my car is worth more. When I think about all the conversions I saw when I bought this one in 08 I'm reminded of what my deceased mom used to say...."It's the difference between chicken salad and chicken s*^t.

This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. This summer, I was a stop light and an Audi S4 pulled up next to me. He heard the exhaust note and started to rev a bit. He wanted to go. I was tired and didn't want to use up more tread on the tires so I gave the purge button a few pushes sending a 5 foot plume of nitrous up from the base of the windshield. He stopped revving and clearly no longer wanted to race me. :) Victory by the push of a button. Sounds like the cold war.

All that said, if the offers don't hit the minimum, I'll happily keep it.

Thank goodness I don't need the money.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've gathered from a few that the price is out of the galaxy. I'm as astute observer no? As I've said before, this is what I need to let it go. It's not that I think it's worth it though to someone I imagine it will be.....witness the 69 camaro Z28's that are selling in six figures at auction.

One person made an offer of $7,500 pending further evaluation. He gave as an example a black (960?) wagon that had thousands of hits on an ebay auction. In the pics he sent you can see a fist size dent in the hood and I saw that car years ago. It was rough to say the least.

Though the paint is a few years old, it's still a show quality paint job done by amazing builders and painters in Hector MN.

http://www.macikspaintinplace.com/Home.html

Click through projects and gallery.

I'm not saying that as a result my car is worth more. When I think about all the conversions I saw when I bought this one in 08 I'm reminded of what my deceased mom used to say...."It's the difference between chicken salad and chicken s*^t.

This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. This summer, I was a stop light and an Audi S4 pulled up next to me. He heard the exhaust note and started to rev a bit. He wanted to go. I was tired and didn't want to use up more tread on the tires so I gave the purge button a few pushes sending a 5 foot plume of nitrous up from the base of the windshield. He stopped revving and clearly no longer wanted to race me. :) Victory by the push of a button. Sounds like the cold war.

All that said, if the offers don't hit the minimum, I'll happily keep it.

Thank goodness I don't need the money.
Well...unfortunately, it's hard to make much of a comparison to probably the single most coveted American sports car from the golden-era of sports cars (outside of a split-windown 'Vette). The Volvo literally doesn't share one quality that makes a a 69 Z28 go for a 100k.

The reason most people buy a high modified car is to save money on the build of their own dream car (labor especially). Unfortunately, at 22k, someone could pay to have that exact car built, except have the joy of picking out the things they want themselves. And probably go FI to boot.

With that being said, I can respect the idea that 22k is the price it's worth to you and asking only for that. Whether it is within the bounds of possibility be damned.

I just wish the thread would die and scoot down the board so I didn't have to look at it just for fun every once in a while, it is very well done....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Indeed, for 22k you could do it yourself, or something crazier. You're not going to get anywhere near that, because that's exactly what any of us would do with that kinda money.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Something tells me you are going to: A. Quit smoking that crazy-ass weed that makes you think sbc 85 Volvo 7 series is going to sell in the neighborhood of $22k B. Hold onto it and let it keep putting a smile on your face. (Ricky Bobby voice) and i mean that with all due respect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A year and a half later, I'm in the right galaxy I think. I'd love to get $10K for the car if you still know someone who might be interested.
We want to buy or lease a leaf and mover the yellow T5R into collector position.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been down this road, Gs wagon right too pricy. I started with '91 745 turbo blew engine dropped in a LT-1 & 4L60E my Volvo came with the Eaton locking diff from factory and 4:11 ratio. the wiring about drove me over the edge, car hauled ass I'm ready to do it again but going with a carb screw all the eltronic BS. Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep sold my '91 sweet looking 745 with LT-1 for 10K in Las Vegas. I was tired of being left on side of the road so GD many electronic **** you need to be a FN electrical genius to figure the **** out forget taking to volvo dealer they raise the hood close hood tell you get the f. otta here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts