SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I am 100% new to Volvos, and just bought a 1980 242 with 138K on an intermittent odometer.

When I had a Volvo guy look at it for a pre-buy, he pointed out the importance of cleaning the fuse box and keeping it well maintained. So I went out, bought myself a brass toothbrush and two sets of iPd fuses, and took a look at the owner's manual.

I noticed that the #3 fuse ("Heater Fan") is 16 Amp in the book, but the previous owner has a blue 25 in there. Also, the iPd set has several blue fuses in the set, whereas none are called for in the book--just 8s and 16s. So my questions are:

1) Why might the previous owner have used a 25 instead of a 16,

2) Should I do the same,

3) Why does iPd include 25s when they aren't specifically called for? When you need to limp your way home on a fuel pump that keeps blowing the 16?

Thanks in advance, your posts helped me decide to go with an old Brick in the first place, which has been surprisingly fun so far!

Tony.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If the fuse is the wrong one for any of the fuse holders there are generally three reasons:
- the fuse blew and the previous owner didn't have the correct fuse,
- someone has added or modified a component which required a higher fuse rate (which may not have been a good idea if the wire is too small for the increased load), or
- there's a problem with the circuit and the spec fuse keeps blowing, and the previous owner hasn't bothered to find and fix the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to Swedespeed, Tony.

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1537485&show_all=1

Long thread on 240 upkeep including fuses...

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1535353&show_all=1

Enjoy!

George Dill
Thanks guys. Update on this, I changed all of the fuses back to spec about four weeks ago and all is working well. George, that PM article on Brickboard is pure gold; I have read it 20,000 times since you linked it and am planning a host of work days.

Thanks again.

T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts