SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there is some magic that I need to know to get the top mount bolt and nut in and tightened in this car. There's no way to get in there!! This is the 3rd starter in a year that is going in the car. The first one: The mechanic couldn't get the bolt and nut in , so he removed the celanoid, put it in, tightened it and then installed the celanoid. Thus, voiding the warranty and the pin holding spring and a mount bolt fell out.

So, 6 months later we're taking it back to the guy and he is saying, "It's a brand new starter. The problem must be missing flywheel teeth." I pull the inspection cover. Fly wheel is fine! Pull the starter and discover the missing pin and bolt. This is how I figured out that they had pulled the celanoid to put the top bolt in. When I went to install the 2nd new starter. Couldn't do it!! Couldn't even get to it!! So we drove with only the bottom mount bolt holding the starter in until it quit. About 4 months.

I'm picking up starter #3 in the morning and it's got to be installed right!! Can anyone tell me what I have to remove in order to do this??

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Not sure if there is some magic that I need to know to get the top mount bolt and nut in and tightened in this car. There's no way to get in there!! This is the 3rd starter in a year that is going in the car. The first one: The mechanic couldn't get the bolt and nut in , so he removed the celanoid, put it in, tightened it and then installed the celanoid. Thus, voiding the warranty and the pin holding spring and a mount bolt fell out.

So, 6 months later we're taking it back to the guy and he is saying, "It's a brand new starter. The problem must be missing flywheel teeth." I pull the inspection cover. Fly wheel is fine! Pull the starter and discover the missing pin and bolt. This is how I figured out that they had pulled the celanoid to put the top bolt in. When I went to install the 2nd new starter. Couldn't do it!! Couldn't even get to it!! So we drove with only the bottom mount bolt holding the starter in until it quit. About 4 months.

I'm picking up starter #3 in the morning and it's got to be installed right!! Can anyone tell me what I have to remove in order to do this??
Welcome to Swedespeed, Rick.

George Dill

From: http://www.swedishautoparts.com/240/FAQ--starters-&-related--volvo-240-starter-replacement.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volvo 240 Starter Replacement.

Steps to remove your Volvo 240 starter.

STEP 1
Disconnect the battery cables.
STEP 2
Disconnect the positive wires to the starter.
STEP 3
Take off the single wire that has the bayonet connector.
STEP 4
SAFETY CAUTION: Set parking brake, block wheels, raise car, and SECURE with jack stands.
STEP 5
Under the car, you can temporarily move the transmission about 2 inches toward the passenger side.
Carefully use a pry bar against metal near where the transmission meets the driveshaft.
Make sure you do not have lines that could be damaged during this procedure.
Keep pressure on the pry bar and wedge a piece of a 2X4 between the transmission and the housing wall.
This will make room to get to the top bolt of the starter.
STEP 6
Place a 18mm socket on an extension with a swivel head and remove the upper bolt.
STEP 7
Now remove the lower bolt.
If it gets stuck, use a rubber mallet from the top to loosen it up.
STEP 8
You can now drop the starter down.

Volvo 240 Starter installation.
STEP 1
Push the starter into position from the bottom.
STEP 2
Push the upper bolt back through its hole.
STEP 3
Align the starter from the top of the car.
While aligning, reach behind and start the upper bolt by hand.
It must be perfectly aligned.
STEP 4
Back under the car, start the bottom bolt.
It must be perfectly aligned.
Move the starter or rotate if necessary.
STEP 5
First tighten the top bolt and then the bottom bolt.
STEP 6
Remove the 2X4 and push transmission back to its original position.
STEP 7
Remove jack stands.
Lower the car.
STEP 8
Replace the single wire that has the bayonet connector.
Reconnect the positive wires to the starter.
Reconnect the positive battery cable first.
Then reconnect the negative battery cable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 2 of 2 Posts