SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 245 w/ a B21f engine. I bought it from the original owner and it has 84,000 original miles. The previous owner stated it had stopped running and
the car had been sitting for a year when I bought it.

The engine cranked fine but would'nt run. I determined it was the fuel pump, and eventually replaced both. Fuel pressure was restored, but now the problem was quite different!. It would start , but smoked severely and then stalls-out. The plugs were extremely fouled and wet.

Took the car to my mechanic (no Volvo or Bosch experience). He replaced the
fuel regulator (aka warm-up regulator). Since replacing, the PROBLEM REMAINS THE SAME as before (starts, smokes, stalls; wet plugs)!?! My mechanic doesn't know what to attempt next. And I'm concerned about getting buried in repair costs!!

Would appreciate any suggestions of checks, tests and/or repairs that my mechanic might pursue.

Thank you, Brooks

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 1978 245 "Cant get it to run" (aloneinthewoods)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Al.

How long have you owned the Volvo?

George Dill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 1976 245 "Cant get it to run"

I bought a 1976 245 about a month ago. To sum up the last month I have:

1. Corrected a no fuel pressure condition with new Main fuel pump, transfer pump, sockfilter, and fuel hose between tank and fuel accumulator. Control pressure (50F) is now 14psi, system pressure 66psi, and residual was 32psi after 2 minutes.

2. Checked voltage at main pump while cranking and found 10.6v

3. Checked fuel at cold start injector (5ml/10seconds)

4. Took the AFM apart and found the the smaller arm that actually engages the FD plunger was getting hung up on the larger arm with the sensor plate on it. Put everything back together and now no binding.

5. Checked the injector flows per greenbook method and found them within 5.5%. There was no obviouls leekage, and they seemed to spray a nice pattern.

6. Inspected the FD plunger for damage. It moves freely.

Right now I am left with a condition similar to the original poster. It will start hard run poorly, smoke a bit, and die. It will run for maybe a minute. The plugs will be wet when I yank them, but that could be from me trying to restart it. I am currently in the process of tinkering with the AFM adjusting screw.

Modified by aloneinthewoods at 8:56 AM 5-26-2006

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 1978 245 "Cant get it to run" (thebrooks)

I finally found my problem. The Lower hose to the auxillary air valve had deteriorated. I could not tell until I took it off. started right up after replacement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: 1978 245 "Cant get it to run" (aloneinthewoods)

I had a 1978 245. It was my first car but a sad story (I still have the title to it). Now I have a 1980 245.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts