SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope this isn't too mundane of a subject, but my 164 tail lights do not work. Interestingly, my rear turn signals work. Not sure on the brake lights yet. The tail light bulbs look good and I don't see any loose wiring. Also the little fuses up front on the driver side panel all look good. I don't have a schematic so I am not sure if the fuses up front are the ones for the tail lights. Thanks.;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Most of my problems with lights have NOT involved burned out bulbs. Start by cleaning the invisible noncoductive film from the bulbs and sockets, then check the connections with your voltmeter. If the voltmeter doesn't show any voltage when they are on, chase down the wiring till you find a place where there IS voltage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a preferable solvent for cleaning the film off of the bulbs and sockets? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't use solvents. 600-1000 grit wetordry paper works. I usually use a sharp pocketknife (which I then have to resharpen.)
Look VERY carefully at the ground strips in the tail light board. I've seen them corroded through. You can solder a wire to bridge the breaks.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hello,

I hope this isn't too mundane of a subject, but my 164 tail lights do not work. Interestingly, my rear turn signals work. Not sure on the brake lights yet. The tail light bulbs look good and I don't see any loose wiring. Also the little fuses up front on the driver side panel all look good. I don't have a schematic so I am not sure if the fuses up front are the ones for the tail lights. Thanks.;)
http://www.164club.se/katalog/index.html

http://volvochassis.se/workshop_e_list.php?workshop_engOrder=Sorter_Year&workshop_engDir=DESC

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You will probably have to get further into the light housing than those pictures show. It is like a printed circuit board and the strips on it corrode easily and are also easily damaged. But they can be repaired by soldering wires across the damaged areas. Be sure your grounding points make good contact or everything with be screwed up and VERY confusing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts