SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..I recently purchased a one owner 1974 142 GL from the original owner. It appeared in the may/jun 1999 issue of Rolling. It had been sitting for awhile, so I have lots to do. My one concern is that the manual Sunroof leaks a bit, and is stuck, or frozen, by rust in the closed position. I pulled off the crank, and cleaned off a lot of rusty goop, but can't figure a way to get to the cable to free things up. I don't want to force or pry and do more damage. Luckily the only other rust is surface, and pretty minor. I would appreciate any help or advise. Thanks, Mike.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hi..I recently purchased a one owner 1974 142 GL from the original owner. It appeared in the may/jun 1999 issue of Rolling. It had been sitting for awhile, so I have lots to do. My one concern is that the manual Sunroof leaks a bit, and is stuck, or frozen, by rust in the closed position. I pulled off the crank, and cleaned off a lot of rusty goop, but can't figure a way to get to the cable to free things up. I don't want to force or pry and do more damage. Luckily the only other rust is surface, and pretty minor. I would appreciate any help or advise. Thanks, Mike.
Welcome to Swedespeed, Mike.

Here is your man...

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=142+sunroof&[email protected]&ss=2

...and he goes by rat_fink but I can't find him on the www (yet).

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't think any of those shown are Ben Buja, who lives in San Francisco. He posts regularly on the 1800list.
His e-mail is: [username follows] bbuja [at] comcast [dot] net [nothing follows]
Please don't e-mail him any trash!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You, I'll try to email him. I'm having no luck trying to open this roof, and don't want to damage it. All advise is appreciated. Mike.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Thank You, I'll try to email him. I'm having no luck trying to open this roof, and don't want to damage it. All advise is appreciated. Mike.
It appears that the 140/160/early 240 manual sunroofs have commonalities so much of the below applies.

The headliner material attached to the underside of the sunroof must be removed which allows access to the mechanism and also allows the sunroof to be removed. This entails opening the sunroof about 2" giving access to the clips along the front edge that retain the headliner to the sunroof. As your car's sunroof is stuck shut it appears that you will need to remove the crank mechanism in an effort to partially open the sunroof.

I am still searching for Ben Buja's write-up that goes with his 142 sunroof pics.

George Dill

From the www...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=351425&show_all=1

Today I set to work on the sunroof. The sunroof would not open with the hand crank and in its closed position, the left rear corner was hanging below the car's roofline.
Someone on brickboard.com suggested using the sunroof section from the VW Rabbit Haynes manual as it was the same type of sunroof. I'm happy to report that worked perfectly (I actually happen to have a VW Rabbit Haynes even though I've never had a VW Rabbit). I was able to pry the sunroof open with a screwdriver from the outside (buffered with a rag so as not to scratch the paint of course) and I pried it enough until I could get my fingers up to pry off the interior trim panel. From there I still couldn't see for sure what was wrong with the sunroof so I removed it from the car entirely. What I found was that both rear guides are broken.
The sunroof has a track that the rear guides slide back and forth in. One side of the track is empty, just a locator for the guide. The other side contains the sunroof cable which operates by a screw type action when you crank the handle. As the cables screw away they act on the plastic guides which move the roof forward or backward. When the roof gets to the point of closing the back edge is raised via a ramp on the track as well as a roller lifter and leaf spring assembly. Kind of a neat and simple arrangement. I had never taken a sunroof apart before so I was interested to learn how it worked.
Well on the driver's side the plastic guide block had disintegrated and was no longer attached to the roof so no lifting was going on. On the passenger side the guide block was still there but the part of the block that is driven by the cable had sheard off as had the other side that fits into the guide part of the track. So it just lifted right out and it was not able to contribute to opening or closing of the roof.
So I reinstalled the roof and was able to make it sit flush with the roofline when closed by orienting the remains of the lifter assembly properly but of course this is a temporary solution to keep the rain out. Now the task comes of locating two new or used rear guides. I don't know what model compatibility there is but I would imagine this is shared across a few models of Volvos if not across a few makes of cars. The sunroof is made by Golde.
If anyone has a source for these guide blocks or if you've got a parts car out back I'd appreciate hearing from you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=647393&show_all=1

All these comments apply to a 1981. On my 81, the gearbox is the next thing you remove after taking off the actual crank handle. The gearbox is shiny chrome, oval shaped, 2 1/2 inches by 1 5/8 inches in size, about 3/8 inch thick, and held to the roof by two screws. It is removed from inside the car, and on mine, when you remove it you can see a bit of the cables. The felt stuff is coming off the cables themselves. I guess it's there to keep them quiet, but I'm not sure. If you open the sunroof a few inches, the sunroof headliner can be removed from inside the car. Pull the front edge of the headliner carefully downward. The front edge is held to the sunroof itself by about six or so clips. Apply downward force right by each clip. A putty knife might help. Once you release the clips, slid the headliner toward the back of the car into the same slot it slides into when you normally open the sunroof. Now you'll be able to see how the whole system is put together. You can start by working from outside the car, and removing the wind deflector. On mine I needed a special screwdriver with a 90 degree bend (cheap) in it to reach the two front screws. Everything in the system comes apart pretty systematically and logically. Just keep close track of what you're doing, even write it down, or line up all the parts in the exact order you take them off. Then you can easiy reverse the order to put it back together. It's not hard, but it is messy. Good luck.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=422580&show_all=1

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=397959&show_all=1

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=350961&show_all=1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Sorry to put you through so much. I'll give it a try, but may end up waiting as I don't have a garage, or maybe take her to a body shop, (ouch!!). At any rate, I really appreciate the work you put into helping me. Hope I can return the favor someday, Mike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts