SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have had fuel pump issues of late. Once, the car barely ran briefly only when I pumped the gas pedal like crazy. I almost got it home like that. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran great for a very short while. It started acting up like stalling whenever I made a right turn. Within a couple of weeks, it was dead. I could sometimes get it to start by pumping the gas pedal like crazy but eventually, it would just die. So, I just replaced the fuel pump again, but this time it will not start. I have sprayed engine starter into the throttle body and it will start for a couple of seconds until it back fires and then it dies. I did this a few times, but nothing has changed. I recently replaced the fuel filter, which was filthy, and I cleaned out the fuel line. From what I can tell, the fuel in the tank is clean since I installed a clear glass fuel filter between the pump and the regular fuel filter, and what is see is clear gasoline. The battery is fully charged and it cranks nicely. The injectors are getting gas cause when I remove the fuel ine to the injectors it sprays gasoline everywhere. Does anybody have any ideas? This is frustrating.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Sounds like gunk in the tank, to me. There's a screen over the pickup tube, it sits in a little well and stuff naturally collects around it. If the tank itself is not corroded internally, you can wash it out. If you pull the sending unit, you can peer around a bit. Might be best to simply drain, remove, and take it to someone if any issue.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Since you refer to throttle body, I assume you have an E model. You changed the filter; however, if you have crud in the tank the filter could be plugging up again. As noted previously, you should also check the filter sock in the fuel tank.

There will be a drain plug in the bottom of the tank. When the tank is approaching empty, open the drain plug and let some gas drain into a catch basin and examine it. The appearance of what ends up in the basin will give you a clue as to whether you have crud in the tank.

You should also check the fuel pressure as per the shop manual. Relatively easy to do if you have access to a tester.

As a matter of interest, which pump did you use when you replaced your pump? From personal experience, a lot of the generic replacements that are sold for the D jet are not so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts