SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title suggests I have a 1967 volvo 122s that I picked up a couple of weeks ago and the brake pedal is not coming back up. I am pretty sure it had power brakes but the previous owner removed the booster so they are non- power brakes now. When I got it the front calipers were completely seized and took a lot of effort to get the cylinders out of them. Once I got them out I rebuilt them with new seals and dust boots. The cylinders were a little pitted but I am planning on doing a wilwood setup or something similar in the future so longevity is not a big deal right now. I have bled the system multiple times but I still am having problems with the brake pedal returning. They do not go to the floor and I cant see any obvious leaks. The brakes work fine, but I have to pull the pedal back up with my foot. When I let off the brakes, it doesnt stop the car from rolling completely, it just slows it down. It has the original return spring in the car and I am debating whether I should add another. (I'm not sure if the return springs are different between the power and non power brake models) . The b18 has Kind of low compression and is not running very well, so I'm not in a huge rush. I just want the brakes to be ready when the motor is.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I removed my booster and didn't notice any difference in brake effort. The spring should be the same for both types.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Sounds like your master cylinder is sticking for some reason. Probably should rebuild or replace that too. If your calipers were corroded no reason to think the MC is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I am thinking its the master cylinder. I am probably going to do a turbo 4 swap so I will see if I can adapt a generic brake booster to the amazon. I will probable have to relocate the clutch master, but I might get lucky.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Also the old rubber hoses, they can collapse when the master cylinder "sucks" the fluid back to the reservoir, and act as a one way valve. New hoses are not a bad idea if yours are 50 years old.

Rubber ones are cheap enough on RockAuto if you need something temporary until you build up the car.

Stainless ones are available from a few suppliers, or can easily be custom made.

IPD has Stainless in stock

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/517...ss-steel-brake-line-kit-122-amazon-ipd-104134

EDIT:

Looks like a few hoses from Rock Auto are under 20$, + Shipping ...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...1366310,brake+&+wheel+hub,hydraulic+hose,1792

1 - 5 of 5 Posts