SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the recommended servicing recommended by the owners manual pretty religiously and need some help.

I hit this section where it talks about the filter in the oil filler cap:

11 Oil filler cap
The oil filler cap is fitted with a
filter. If this filter becomes blocked
there will be excessive pressure in
the crankcase and this can lead to
oil leakage. This filter must therefore be cleaned after about every
40 000 km (25 000 miles).

I took whole thing off of the engine and removed the screws that hold on the top part. When I look in the top of the cap (the ventilation pipe), I see what looks like grime, grass and maybe some shavings.

My question is, how do I get to the filter to clean it. I tried to pull the sections apart (since it looks like it could work that way) but I could not.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a picture for reference:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I don't think there's any filter material in that style of cap. I'd give it a good flushing out with carb cleaner and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I have been following the recommended servicing recommended by the owners manual pretty religiously and need some help.

I hit this section where it talks about the filter in the oil filler cap:

11 Oil filler cap
The oil filler cap is fitted with a
filter. If this filter becomes blocked
there will be excessive pressure in
the crankcase and this can lead to
oil leakage. This filter must therefore be cleaned after about every
40 000 km (25 000 miles).

I took whole thing off of the engine and removed the screws that hold on the top part. When I look in the top of the cap (the ventilation pipe), I see what looks like grime, grass and maybe some shavings.

My question is, how do I get to the filter to clean it. I tried to pull the sections apart (since it looks like it could work that way) but I could not.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a picture for reference:
The "grass" is the original filter element inside the cap.

As Phil stated it may be easier to just rinse out the innards with carb cleaner.

Look at those three tiny holes where those three tiny screws fit - are the threads still lined up perfectly with the holes?

If so just put the screws back in, shoot some carb cleaner and rinse with more carb cleaner (avoid breathing that stuff and wear eye/hand/body protection).

If the screw holes are no longer aligned with the threads go ahead and take the cap apart. Holding the cap USD by the knurled portion slap the hose connection on a solid wooden surface until the fifty-year bond is broken.

Good luck getting the screw holes properly aligned for reassembly.

Look at your (stolen) pic...

http://www.swedishtreasures.com/418954.jpg

...and note those two oval-like tabs that grab the valve cover when you twist the cap back on. These tabs tend to weaken their "grab" over time but can be "adjusted" somewhat by grabbing a screwdiver in each hand with the tips "under" the oval tabs then pull the tabs "up" with strong hand pressure.

If you don't have a new seal temporarily turn the old seal over at reinstall and/or use two old flat seals together.

George Dill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts