SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
We own a (mostly) restored 1962 P1800 Jensen and are trying to figure out what the price range might be if we decided to sell. It was originally purchased by my father in law 30 some years ago and passed to my wife who did a pretty extensive resto on it (paint, motor rebuild, trim etc.) a few years back. No rust, really clean and after a little elbo grease and work it’ll be in good-very good condition.

We love the car but it doesn’t look good with a baby seat. :) Any ideas on what we might be able to sell her for?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you the gentleman selling it on VCOA website? That the car was bought in 1982 from the original owner? The convertible one?

·
Registered
404 Posts
There are a few ways to estimate the value of a vehicle, there are several on line tools such as this one.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/auto

Surfing the net to see what’s out there can give you an idea, but for-sale listings are asking prices. eBay can be helpful as long as you check the Sold listings.

Owners tend to overestimate the value of their classics based on the money spent on them, sentimental value etc.

Money invested does not equal market value.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Baby seat is an approved accessory!!!

I've been infatuated with Volvo P1800's since my dad bought a used Jensen in 1966, when I was TWO! Nothing better instills interest in the next generation than introducing us YOUNG! You may ponder how to best arrange your small family in the P1800 cabin. In a Jensen the baby seat goes in the passenger seat with the 3-point harness (did later cars get rear belts?). One adult drives (until the baby is 16). Second adult sits in back, sideways. Lean against the side of the rear compartment and stretch your legs out across the rear seat. I've ridden hundreds of miles that way, very comfortably. It's also great for conversing with the front passengers. I am 5' 6", 140 lb., in my mid-fifties, and I still like to ride like that.

Trying to reliably predict the market value of a Volvo 1800 is almost impossible. I've followed the 1800 market for fifty years and it was always schizophrenic. In recent years some nearly perfect cars have sold at auction for over $50,000. But more often seemingly equal cars sell for a third of that, and sometimes nice drivers can be had for as little as $5000-$10,000. The most valuable cars are probably the early ones like yours (truest to Pelle Peterson's original design) or the latest 1800E's (highest performance).

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car didn't come with rear belts (it's a 1967) I'm not sure about later models.

To fit my seat back there, I installed two very large and hefty eye bolts through the body of the car, they act like LATCH points.

The previous owner of my car used to take trips with 4 people and a cat. The cats cage only fit in the passenger seat which was fully forward, so mom (who was short and with short legs) sat in the drivers seat, and the 3 kids (age range from 8 to 15) sat in the back for their regular trips between NY and NC. Looking at the size of the cabin, I can't imagine.

She did have an interesting story about when one of them got car sick, they were all in such close proximity that it caused the other two to be immediately sick as well, so they had 3 kids simultaneously throwing up in the back seat! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts