SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys (esp. those in the NW) think of running 18 in wheels in the winter. I had 17 for the last two years with all season tires with no problems.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: 18's in the winter. (kpsingh0)

Thought about it but to cut down on the price of snow tires am getting 17's. Buddy says if you get 17's there are a shat load of snow tires for dirt cheap right now at tire stores. They are getting ready to move in the new years inventory.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I ran my Hiros (19x8.5) during a lot of last winter and was just fine. I do have awd though, so I think it would be more important for those of you with fwd to have dedicated winters.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I've kept the stock 16" wheels for my studless snow tires, then swap out to the 18" with summer tires in the spring. People say bigger snow tires are not as good, something about they float more... not sure, but there have been some threads on that... <p>I think it depends on how much true SNOW driving you do. I swap out wheels in the spring and fall because I'm too lazy to get under my car and put on chains - no way, no how - not fun! If you're just a weekend warrior headed up to the hill then you're true snow driving is minimal in the NW, so 18"s would get the job done. If you were LIVING in snow then I'd keep it smaller to cut through the snow better.<p>True snow tires are SOOOO much better than all seasons, seriously it is like night and day. I just get the whatever Les Schwab studdless snow tires and they give crazy traction in the snow! Just remember going fast in the snow is easy...stopping is a different story!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: 18's in the winter. (V50PDX)

Oh definitely, i wont even drive the S40 in the snow without snow tires now. After driving in the snow on all seasons the last few years and then driving my brothers RWD IS300 on snow tires the difference is insane, i wont go back. Trying to find a nice set of 17's i can coat into a crazy ass color and get some nice snow tires and just to the swap back and forth.<p>We rarely ever have to drive in standing snow in the NW too which is why id recommend true winter tires, we mainly deal with ice which is sketchy on all seasons sometimes.<p><br>

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: 18's in the winter. (ForceFed Motorsports)

Man we dont get alot of snow out here but when we do they take around a week to clear it up and i really must say the Volvo does well unless its icy then i cannot move thats why i will soon own 17's with snow ..

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we don't get too much snow. last winter we had like a week of it but the year before there was none.<br>It wasn't to bad for me driving around on my all season tires last winter. i am sure if i had snow tires it would help. i dont take my car up to the mts. my main problem is ice.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Running 17" vs 18" isn't as important as running a dedicated snow tire, if you drive in much snow. I run all season tires spring-fall and swap out to Blizzaks in the winter. I live on the side of a mountain in Alaska, so dedicated winter tires are a must! My winter tires are 205's on the factory 16" wheels which are just a little narrower than the 225's on 17" wheels I run in the summer, which has worked out great.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: (kpsingh0)

These last few years when it snowed were followed by a sheet of ice that didnt go away for weeks. Snow tires are a must since im not sliding the S40 off the road. The snow itself never sticks around but everyone drives on it and packs it real nice and it gets sketchy after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts